XC GS instruments into XB 500. Possible? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2004, 18:06   #1 (permalink)
XB Pilot

XC GS instruments into XB 500. Possible?

I can get hold of one of two XC GS instrument clusters and want to know is it an easy swap or is it going to be all to hard. I'm mainly interested in it for the tacho, but the other gauges would be a bonus.
Are the wiring looms similar in both cars? Ie for things like warning lights, illumination, fuel & temp gauges.

I haven't actually seen the cluster but will it replace the whole lot meaning from right to left including the heater switches and where the radio goes and such?

Also how much would it cost to have the tacho recalibrated from a 6 input to an 8 input?

Thanks

Simon
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2004, 18:08   #2 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Re: XC GS instruments into XB 500. Possible?

Contact VDO for a start in regards to recalabration, and if you manage to find a helpfull person, they 99% made the both gauges, so could help with the pin assigments on the clusters as well.

Jason

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 04:32   #3 (permalink)
Ford Member

an xc has a completely different shape dash to an xb. not only is the dash front different but where it fits up against the windscreen is different to.
your loom will be very similar, but only in the colours of the wiring. the two dash's have different plugs/terminals etc. i'd definitely put it in the "too hard" basket, which isn't something i do often when it comes to modifying cars.
i think the best thing to do would be track down a V8 xa/b GS or GT dash and fit that instead. i can help you out with a GS dash, but i only have the small gauge's(oil,petrol,temp,volts), but then again, they're the hardest to find. i don't have the tacho. sydney's a big place, you should be able to find something there, but if you get desperate yell out and dig them out for you.
cheers, Phil
montyv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 03:21   #4 (permalink)
kickerinthegutsbarry

I know some of the last xbgt's had xc gxl dash's in them, but I dont know how you would go about converting one, I prefer the xb dash's anyways.

apolloxbgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 20:13   #5 (permalink)
XB Pilot

I can't be bothered swapping over, but does anyone know the diamter of the speedo in a xb? 4 inches?
Why I ask is I would like to replace the speedo and fuel/temp gauges with a tacho and speedo from an Aftermarket gauge supplier and put them in the factory location.
Then I'd use the smaller 2 inch gauges for fuel/temp/etc and mount them somewhere else.
Obviously this would require a check to behind the cluster to see if the gauges could be removed and whether I could mount the new gauges.

Is it illegal to replace the standard speedo? All the aftermarket ones I've seen do not have odometers.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons