Ford Forums banner

xm engine crossmember

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  302xm 
#1 · (Edited)
Which side of the suspension towers is the cross member bolted on cars fitted with windsors ,
I need to replace the chassis brackets the rubber mounts attach too as there stuffed and causing the engine to sit crooked in the engine bay.
Since im going to go to the trouble of making some new ones i also plan to move the crossmember to the back of the suspension towers and move the engine back appox 20mm .

#2 ·
Nevermind i just put the car up on some ramps and it will foul the steering linkages.
I think ill have to recess the spare one i have and fit that.
But what would be handy is the measurements
A carb stud to front edge of cowl lip on xm-xp windsors out there .
B the distance between the crossmember bolts holes on the chassis if anyones got one sitting around with no engine.
Thanks.

#3 ·
Interesting,
I have AN XL, and the crossmember bolts on to the rear side. It also bolts through the engine mounts (body side)

Mustangs..something i deal a lot in, bolt to the underside of the chassis rail behind the lower control arms. I assume the XM is the same.

The measurments you seek would invariably be simialar to a mustang. I can give you B but not A...and in metric
Cheers
Jas

#4 ·
The B measurements would be great Jas :hy:
I thought the crossmember bolted to the back .
But it looks like its been placed on the front to clear the XC steering linkages and it stops the motor from being moved closer to the fire wall .
I still might be able to get it on there with a bit of trimming.

The A measurement is just to give me an idea how far back most windsors sit in the early falcons. I measured mine at approx 265mm
Woz

#5 ·
Ok,
if the crossmember bolts to the back, then it is the same as the XL.
I have a set of engine mounts for my XL out of an XP (for a windsor)

Unfortunatley at this point, i cannot do much trial fitting for you, as the XL still has the 200cid in it...i have yet to start this project.

At this point dimension 'B' you seek is irrelevant. Sometimes you need some persuasion to make them go in. i.e a podger...esp if you are dealing with engine in.

The V8 mounts i have for the XL (from an XP) are integral with the crossmember, i.e they share the same mount point and bolts......confuses to me why i asked where your crossmember mounted in hindsight.

Cheers
Jas

#6 ·
302xm said:
The B measurements would be great Jas :hy:
I thought the crossmember bolted to the back .
But it looks like its been placed on the front to clear the XC steering linkages and it stops the motor from being moved closer to the fire wall .
I still might be able to get it on there with a bit of trimming.

The A measurement is just to give me an idea how far back most windsors sit in the early falcons. I measured mine at approx 265mm
Woz
Is it a manual steer XC box? or Power? the Power steer XC box i imagine would limit your exhaust options being significantly larger than an earlier manual steer box.... I chose having 4 into 1 exhausts over having an integrated PS box in my XY, and they're a couple of inches wider than an XL/M/P.
If you're messing around with the crossmember, it might be an idea to make it able to be tied into the lower swingarm pivots, ties it all together a bit better (The talk about it in the Boss 302 Chassis prep book).

#8 · (Edited)
Its a power steering set up and does make for a tight fit... but if i move the engine back a little its going to improve clearances on No.4 port which is the one thats got the least room .The lower control arm pivots are mounted about 40mm lower than std and have some flimsy looking brackets bolted to them and the cross member which i will need to replace .The main problem looks like the inner tie rod ends which will just touch the cross member if i place it in its original position .
I'm going to have to trial fit it to see how close it really is though.
Fingers crossed.
From memory the falconparts.com site has some tech info that states that your "A" dimension should be 11"
279mm
I Read a post at TFFN where that measurement was mentioned. (I think its taken from the cowl not the edge where its spot welded to the fire wall) but it varied a couple of inches in different cars depending on where it was measured from and how the motor was mounted.
Thanks
I get 93mm from the center of the back drivers side inlet manifold bolt to the firewall at present

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.