xp coupe restore - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2005, 16:33   #1 (permalink)

xp coupe restore

Hi All
I require info on the installation of a 302 windsor.
i purchased a 1981 Fairland for the motor and transmision,can i use the disc brake and boster and what extra's do i need to fit it up,can i use the steering box and the power steering ??? .This is my first restore so i would like some help please.

thanks
WASSIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2005, 02:29   #2 (permalink)
Go the GT's

Re: xp coupe restore

Try to contact the early fords club, they are on the net. They should be able to assist you with answers to what you need.

http://www.angelfire.com/80s/fairmon.../The_Beast.htm
My old XB GT & XD Ghia and GT Coupe Pages 1 to 8

http://www.angelfire.com/falcon2/doorxagt351
My GT Coupe Pages 9 and up

Page updated 13/08/2005....
xagt_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 07:19   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASSIL
Hi All
I require info on the installation of a 302 windsor.
i purchased a 1981 Fairland for the motor and transmision,can i use the disc brake and boster and what extra's do i need to fit it up,can i use the steering box and the power steering ??? .This is my first restore so i would like some help please.

thanks
Go along to your local rod clubmeeting , its WAY harder than you realise
good luck with it ( look in the back of Ausralian hod rod mag)
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 03:10   #4 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

81 fairlane
Are you talking about fitting a 302 cleveland?
Windsors are the easier conversion with the early falcon's. CRS sells engine/gearbox mounts and the last time i talked to them they had some brand new 8inch diffs drum to drum that are the correct width and will bolt straight in.
You can use the spindles/disk brakes, but will need to use a bumpsteer correction kit. RRS sells one.
I think the booster is too big to fit but a smaller diameter one will just(im using a p76 one), it requires modification to the pedal box to correct the pedal ratio for the power brakes as well as new mounting points for the booster.
302xm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 17:14   #5 (permalink)

the 81 fairlane is fitter with a windsor ,it did have a 250
thanks for the info gents , 302xm can you give info CRS
WASSIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 01:40   #6 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

Castlemaine Rod Shop
click here

Superoo Falcon spares also sell the mounting kit
302xm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 20:55   #7 (permalink)
Registered Cruiser

Hi, Hi,
I have heaps to say on this issue, Ill try and jam as much as possible into the one post. (as im new I dont know if this is bad policy, so please let me know if I have annoyed anyone) Ill say more in another post if you need more info :) ..

I am going through the dilemma of exactly what to do regarding brakes etc for my XP utility..

I've seen some CRS components, there really good. I have their dropped spindles in my ute.(well its sitting next to the old girl in the shed to be installed at the same time as my new engine..)

If you get the CRS dropped spindles, ask if you can get the HQ drum brake versions, then a shop called Rod Tech here in Adelaide, can supply you with a set of VT hubs which you can run VT brakes on. This is pretty cool.

I didnt do this though because some people say the CRS kit ruins your suspesion geometry and that the only way to go is the RRS kits. But then the RRS kit is 4K (plus extras) while the CRS kit is about 1K (all up and on the road).

So far I have decided to stick with the CRS dropped spindle kit (cost me ~400 of a mate) also I have a CRS HQ-WB spindle to XF falcon disk conversion, to give bigger disks and keep my stud pattern (this uses HQ-WB PBR calipers)

So although I have heard the CRS kit has limitations, I dont care and the extra cost/effort/feedback of the RRS kit just didnt make sense to me at this stage. (I know they are really good, but I cant afford that..)

Maybe once I drive the car around with the CRS kit for 6 months and decide its bad, you guys might find a whole heap of stuff on ebay :) and then I'll buy an RRS kit :) haha..

I also have a CRS rack an pinion kit, but am reluctant to fit this due to road worthyness as Im not sure if thats modding the car a little bit too much..

Regarding your booster, she wont fit on your fire wall unless you go notching your shock towers, which then requires a RRS suspension kit. So the only way to go is with a remote booster like a VH40. I bought mine on Ebay fully rebuilt for 299 (including delivery). This seems expensive, but an unrestored ones go for $80 and it costs around $240 at power brakes in North Adelaide to rebuild a booster, so really 299 was cheap for me.

If you do choose to notch your shock towers, I believe you can then fit a big big engine in that engine bay, but why bother, you have the 302, and that is already too much engine for such a light car :)

One point to note: In my state I cannot install an injected 302 into my XP. They'll let me run a supercharged 2v headed injected 200 (without inspection!!!), but not an injected 302.. Its nuts.., but if your long term goal was to fit an injected inlet onto your block (which would be suuuuper cool) then maybe you need to look into this now during your planning stage and speak to a RTA approved engineer.
G0lg0tha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 07:22   #8 (permalink)

G'day,
you make some good points. I am in the planning/saving stage for an XL ute.
Brakes....its looking line a VH 40 for me also......but to complicate it i am also thinking ABS!!!! (that will ultimatley depend on what the suspension people can supply).

Suspension. I am intending to use RRS phase 2 struts

Steer...i don't like the RRS rack...but at this point its whats available....link to CRS please??????

Late model injected 8. SA laws differ here to no other state in Oz....its an EPA law that is federal governed. "when retrofitting an engine, you must comply with the ADR's for the later componant." SO if fitting a 5.0 EFI from an ED to an XP you need to comply with the EPA rules for the ED.....dead EASY...its a carbon cannister and catalytic converters. Also is the electrics and return fuel line, but you are doing this anyway to run that engine!!!

piece of cake

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 21:19   #9 (permalink)
Registered Cruiser

While I was considering what to do on the front end I thought a lot about rear disk brakes too..

As I was thinking about holden HQ brakes on the front and I have 7/8 in" slaves on the back, I figured just using a HQ booster and master cylinder would be great as everything is the same eg the proportions should be right and I shouldnt have locking brakes.. Then at a later date, I could get a disk brakes HQ master cylinder and wack the disks on my diff.

To do this would require cutting the shock tower to fit it right?

Well I had this idea:

Why not mount the HQ booster and cylinder anywhere in the engine bay and control the HQ booster/Master cylinder with an unboosted hydraulic line?

Eg run a dual circuit master cylinder to a dual circuit slave, which controls the HQ holden brake system. Everything is redundant and I believe it would be safe.

You could even use a similar system to run a VT dunnydoor or BA falcon brake setup. The reason I say VT is that if you use the HQ spindles (CRS kit) you can get a hub conversion kit (rodtech-$400) and run VT brakes on the HQ spindles, so you are 90% the way to getting ABS...

Otherwise if you wanted to run dual disks (which I would if I was running ABS) then you would have to run dual VH40 remote boosters, which I thought was kinda ugly.. I dont know how ugly in comparison to all that master, slave booster master idea I had... That is why I didnt bother in the end and just went with the VH40...

As for the discussion ont he RRS stuff, I think its gotta be great.

There are discussions in other threads about why one would change a front from a double A arm configuration to a macpherson strutt. Their argument was that the double A arm usually is fundamentally geometrically better than a macpherson strutt and that is why they use them in formula one. The benefit of the mac strutt is that they are cheap to manufacture and can be made into sub components and outsourced..

Well I agree with this, so fundamentally the RRS kit should be a compromise on suspension geometry. But in comparison to the existing double A arm geometry on the XPs the geometry on the RRS kit is much better. The XP has a problem of the lower control arm being too short (or something..) and the top arm isnt low enough in relation to the lower arm, so one needs to redrill the mounting point.

A guy I know said that something called a SHELBY mod, as done on mustangs fixes this problem and makes the XP front end very good and eliminates bump steer.

If this Shelby mod is true, the going to an RRS kit would actually be a compromise on geometry in comparison to a shelby modded XP...

But at the end of the day who wants to be drilling holes in the chassis of a 40 year old car? not me.. I'd rather get an RRS kit and be done with it. Better letting someone else do all the testing like RRS than testing it yourself... once those holes are there they are there for ever....

So Im sticking with the CRS kit dropped spindles, and driving the car for 6 months to a year. If I decide that the bump steer is horrendous, im going to go to a RRS kit.

As for a link to CRS, there is a post a few lines up with it included in the text.
G0lg0tha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 06:49   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0lg0tha
As for the discussion ont he RRS stuff, I think its gotta be great.
It is

Quote:
There are discussions in other threads about why one would change a front from a double A arm configuration to a macpherson strutt. Their argument was that the double A arm usually is fundamentally geometrically better than a macpherson strutt and that is why they use them in formula one.
A formula ones suspension is a different animal altogether! Ride hieght and rebound is controlled inside the covers....at the extreme end of the suspension.

Quote:
A guy I know said that something called a SHELBY mod, as done on mustangs fixes this problem and makes the XP front end very good and eliminates bump steer.

If this Shelby mod is true, the going to an RRS kit would actually be a compromise on geometry in comparison to a shelby modded XP...
The Shelby mod is REAL! It actually is a 1 inch drop on standard springs. In saying that, it also moves the upper control arm rearwards by about 8mm.
Funny you mentioned it...i just did it to a customer Mustang today....destined for Group N racing

Quote:
But at the end of the day who wants to be drilling holes in the chassis of a 40 year old car? not me.. I'd rather get an RRS kit and be done with it. Better letting someone else do all the testing like RRS than testing it yourself... once those holes are there they are there for ever....

So Im sticking with the CRS kit dropped spindles, and driving the car for 6 months to a year. If I decide that the bump steer is horrendous, im going to go to a RRS kit.

As for a link to CRS, there is a post a few lines up with it included in the text.
Forget CRS!...if you are considering RRS as a later option....start with it.
Thier suspension is FIRST rate....everyone i know who has it, is ecstatic about it...worth every cent!

The customer i am building the Group N for also has a 69 Mustang Mach 1, built for road racing with RRS Struts and steer...reckons it is nicer to drive than his BA XR8 or (wifes) Crapodore VY Clubbie!

Rule #1 be carefull what you mix and match
Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons

Related Reading: xp coupe restore