1969 T-bird time for an overhaul - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2010, 14:32   #1 (permalink)

1969 Thunder-bird need suggestions for a 500 hp combination

Just 2 months ago I blew up the motor, so i figured if I am going to rebuild it why not make a street and strip motor to drop in it. The car is equipped with a 429 4v thunder jet 10:5.1 compression , C9ve-a heads with 128,000 on the block. It was a very strong motor but for the rebuild I would like to add more power and reliability. My budget is approximately $3,500 so if there is any cheap combinations to producing a pump gas friendly BBF they will be appreciated.
Rooskyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2010, 16:57   #2 (permalink)

Exclamation 1969 T-bird time for an overhaul

One cold day in November my bird blew and shook violently, I pulled over to find that the oil was dripping. The car is suspected to have spun a rod and lost a rod bolt. After July of this year I will have $3,500 to rebuild the engine.
I would like to use this car for street and strip application. The car had 128,000 when it took the rod, and great 10:5:1 compression. I would like to build a 460 but I am not sure if i should go H beams or I beams, cast or forged, speed pro or KB. I am just looking for a good combination but want it to be pump gas friendly and have plenty of horses under the hood. The heads are C9VE-A i believe and if i can have them machined what should they be ported to.
thanks for reading my boring story and thanks for any replies.
Old 01-24-2010, 19:44   #3 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: 1969 Thunder-bird need suggestions for a 500 hp combination

Merged for clarity.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 18:42   #4 (permalink)

Re: 1969 Thunder-bird need suggestions for a 500 hp combination

Thanks at least I know my question is understood. I know how it is my fathers a dodge/Chrysler fan, but will always like ford. I hope I can get the heads ported and bigger valves this could save me $$$.
Old 01-26-2010, 21:17   #5 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: 1969 T-bird time for an overhaul

With just $3500 I would suggest a 460 crankshaft for an easy 31 cube increase. Also, the 460 crank opens up your world when it comes to piston choices. It uses the same rods that you have in your engine but 460-specific pistons. Other than the crankshaft (stroke) and pistons (pin location) the 429 & 460 engines are the same internally (on any given year that they were both being produced).

With budget in mind, go with the OEM 460 cast pistons that have a 21cc (or so) dish. At 0.030" overbore, you will have about 9.75:1 comrpession ratio.

Depending on portwork done to the heads, 400+ hp would be very, very easy with your build along with a well matched cam, intake, carburetor, etc. Well prepped D0VE heads can support 700 hp in the right combo, not what you are shooting for here hence the cast pistons, etc. The engine combo is a little more involved, of course...not sure exactly what you want.

NOTE: The 429 & 460 crankshafts came with more than one size torque converter pilot hole over the years, so you will first need to know which pilot hole is in the back of your 429 crank so that you can specify the same pilot hole for the 460 crank.

We have 460 cranks in both pilot configurations. We also have a freshly ported, machined, and assembled set of D0VE heads for sale. Call, email, or PM if interested (contact info is in my signature line below).

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 19:37   #6 (permalink)

Re: 1969 T-bird time for an overhaul

Thanks for great budget suggestions. I might just end up buying a set of D0VE heads to go along with the build, but it will probably be sometime in July, I would imagine this would really bring the engine to life. I never knew D0VE heads could perform at an insane level of HP NICE!!!!
Old 01-28-2010, 12:12   #7 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: 1969 T-bird time for an overhaul

Your 1969 C9VE-A T-Bird heads are essentially the same as D0VE heads. I was offering D0VE heads only because they are already ported and assembled and ready to go.

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 19:03   #8 (permalink)

Re: 1969 T-bird time for an overhaul

It seems that i lean more, and more, sorry to be so jumpy, its my first build and I don't want to get the wrong parts for my application, on the other hand if this was a Chrysler my father would already have it rebuilt by now lol. My application will be mostly a weekend cruiser with 1/8 mile runs 12 days a year. One question I have is the cam. What cam, and valve train setup would be good for a build like this? Thank you for your responses they have solved most of my questions to building a great reliable BBF.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech