1970 429 questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2006, 11:03   #1 (permalink)

1970 429 questions

I just stumbled across this site, so I thought I would register and see if someone could help me with a couple of questions. I am in the process of putting a 1970 429 engine into a 1970 LTD 2dr. Ht that came with a 351W in it. I took the 429 engine/C6 transmission/9"rear end out of a 1970 Country Squire wagon, so it is all the correct year parts and will bolt right in.
The 429 is a 2 barrel engine, and my first question is what are the differences in the 2 and 4 barrel engines other than the obvious intake/carb? I have a correct DOVE intake and carb I found for it, but am curious if the pistons are lower compression with the 2 barrel. It has the DOVE-C heads on it. I plan on an aftermarket cam, so if that is different it doesn't matter.
2nd question: I don't have the 4-barrel spacer plate that goes between the carb and intake and need to know if it is specific to the 429/460, or is the one used on the 289/302 the same (I can find those on Ebay).
Brian Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2006, 13:10   #2 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: 1970 429 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Stone
I am in the process of putting a 1970 429 engine into a 1970 LTD 2dr. Ht that came with a 351W in it. I took the 429 engine/C6 transmission/9"rear end out of a 1970 Country Squire wagon, so it is all the correct year parts and will bolt right in.
The 429 is a 2 barrel engine, and my first question is what are the differences in the 2 and 4 barrel engines other than the obvious intake/carb? I have a correct DOVE intake and carb I found for it, but am curious if the pistons are lower compression with the 2 barrel. It has the DOVE-C heads on it. I plan on an aftermarket cam, so if that is different it doesn't matter.
2nd question: I don't have the 4-barrel spacer plate that goes between the carb and intake and need to know if it is specific to the 429/460, or is the one used on the 289/302 the same (I can find those on Ebay).
All standard passenger car 429's and 460's of any given year are the exact same motor on the inside between the 2 barrel and 4 barrel versions; the only difference is the carb and intake, so simply bolt on the 4-barrel intake and carb and you are good to go.

Not sure to tell you about the carb spacer, as I am primarily into 429/460's and not the small block Fords...

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 23:31   #3 (permalink)

Re: 1970 429 questions

The only specifics with the spacer is spread bore or square bore. The spacer plate is used to mount the EGR valve and passage. You can buy a non-EGR spacer from most aftermarket performance catalogs places. That is so you wont have the exhaust air heating up the passenger side of the carb if you chose not the run the EGR.
1999 Contour 2.3L
2003 F-150 5.4L EA0D
airharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 06:12   #4 (permalink)
FORD THUNDER DOWNUNDER

Dove heads are 74-75cc chambers they are the good ones, just run a alloy stealth manifold with nice 750+ CFM carb, no need for spacer. When you get NOS it comes with spacer. Happy Tyre Frying!!
KILLERME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 12:20   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the input guys! Sounds the spacers are all the same size. The one I am looking for doesn't have the EGR stuff on it--it just has a port on the back for the PCV valve to connect to. I am watching one on Ebay right now that I hope to get. I have a factory DOVE 4bbl. intake and the correct factory Autolite carb for it that a buddy of mine had sitting in his garage, so I am going to start out with that for now so this build up doesn't get too expensive, but I have a feeling I will end up with an aftermarket intake and bigger carb on down the road.
I am going to tear the engine apart and put a basic rebuild kit in (provided I don't find any major problems)--rings, bearing, gaskets, timing chain, water pump, oil pump, cam bearings, aftermarket cam/lifters/valve springs.
Anyone have a cam recommendation for this engine? It is going in a 1970 LTD 2dr. HT with a C6 and 3.25 rear end ratio. I want as much cam as is reasonable with a stock torque converter--this is a driving/cruising car, so I don't want to go to a higher stall torque coverter. I have built several 429/460 engines before, but they all went in big 4x4 trucks with manual transmissions.
Brian Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech