1986 F250 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2006, 21:22   #1 (permalink)

1986 F250

I have a 1986 F250, 4x4, automatic, 460, carrying an overhead camper. Approximately 76,000 miles. I get maybe 4mpg in a head wind, and with a good tail wind maybe up to 6 mpg. Any suggestions for an "easy" fix to get a few more mpg?

A couple of years ago the distributer and ignition module was replaced. At that time I thought the truck did not run at all like it had previously. Not responsive to the throttle. It seemed to take forever to reach highway speed. I took it back 2 or 3 times, but it has never seemed to run as well.

Thanks for any suggestions.

dcp3
dcp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2006, 07:37   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1986 F250

Sounds to me like the timing is too retarded. When the distributor was replaced, they most likely put it back to the stock timing spec. It could easily have been advanced at some point in the past to give more power/better fuel mileage, so with it set back to stock specs, you will lose the power/better fuel mileage. I would get a timing light and first check it against the spec. Once you have it set to spec, advance it 2 deg. and drive it. If you don't have spark knock problems, advance it 2 more deg. Do this until you start getting spark knock problems, then back off 2 deg. and leave it set there.
Brian Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech