400 to 460 truck engine swap - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2007, 08:57   #1 (permalink)

400 to 460 truck engine swap

Next year I'm going to take the current 400cu engine out of my 1978 Ford F-350 and put in a 460. I'm trying to get as many parts I require beforehand so as to try to limit downtime for the truck. It has a 4 speed manual transmission. My question is do I need a different engine to bell housing spacer plate? I assummed I wouldn't because the bell housings are the same but I found 1 place on the internet advertising a conversion plate for my intended application. Is the length of the crank at the rear different for the two engines? Any help appreciated!

Ron
Rlzegers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2007, 17:07   #2 (permalink)

Re: 400 to 460 truck engine swap

You will need a flywheel for the 460. It has a different flywheel than the 400. The tranny will bolt up. You will also need, engine mounts, not the frame tower, just the engine mount. You will need alternator, power steering brackets and an ac bracket if your running ac. You can buy a kit, or just a few components from L&L products. They make everything you would need for the conversion to go smoothly. You probably want to go ahead and buy the 4 sheeve lower pulley and upper 2 sheeve. Yes...you can go to a junk yard and find the stuff, roll around in the dirt and grease removing the parts, clean them up etc etc. Its easier to just buy the parts you need and not that expensive. They also make a couple headers for it you might want to check out.
Old 04-11-2007, 22:11   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for the reply. Most of the things you mention I have already. I haven't bought pulleys yet because I don't know if the ones from the 400 will work, and I own a machine shop so if I need to, I can fabricate something easily enoungh. What about the spacer plate I asked about. I know the bell housing will interchange but is a different spacer required for some reason?

Thanks,

Ron
Old 04-12-2007, 14:22   #4 (permalink)

If you have the flywheel & clutch assembly for a 460 you should be set. All I had to change was the flywheel and torque convertor. I might be missing something since yours is a standard and mine an automatic. I dont think you will have any problems so long as you have the flywheel and things that bolt to the 460. Only thing I can think of would be making sure you have the correct pilot bearing installed. Some are 1.375 and some are 1.850.

I have a project for you since you have a machine shop. Someone needs to start making a vacuum booster eliminator bracket for these trucks lol. I'm working on one now for my truck. Now I have to make an angle to weld to the back of it so the master cylinder is at its proper angle.
Old 02-14-2008, 00:27   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand1 View Post
You will need a flywheel for the 460. It has a different flywheel than the 400. The tranny will bolt up. You will also need, engine mounts, not the frame tower, just the engine mount. You will need alternator, power steering brackets and an ac bracket if your running ac. You can buy a kit, or just a few components from L&L products. They make everything you would need for the conversion to go smoothly. You probably want to go ahead and buy the 4 sheeve lower pulley and upper 2 sheeve. Yes...you can go to a junk yard and find the stuff, roll around in the dirt and grease removing the parts, clean them up etc etc. Its easier to just buy the parts you need and not that expensive. They also make a couple headers for it you might want to check out.
Yes ,you will need to change the frame towers...460 ones are completely different....and the 400 pulleys wont work. I'm doing this swap right now on a '77 F250. Get everything you can with the 460 engine....pulleys,mounts,frame brackets, exhaust manifolds, damper,etc,etc...
AerostarDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 17:06   #6 (permalink)

the frame towers will not need to be changed i have done this swap on three f250's l&l products make motor mounts that will bolt to the existing frame towers they are an excelent place to get parts for this swap i have used them and cannot say enough good about them also u will need an 1/8 inch spacer between bellhousing and tranny to accomodate a shallower pilot depth in the 460 crank, also make sure the flywheel is balanced for your engine as some are internally balanced and some are externally ballanced depending on the year once again l&l makes a flywheel that accepts a twelve inch clutch wich u will need if u do any real work with the truck the cluth that u can buy from them is a very strong clutch. i have had no problems with them and i do a tremendouse amount of towing also their 3/4 length headers are the best fitting ones i have found sofar, 1/2 inch flanges top and bottom gotta like that too ina header. hope this helps
aj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:01   #7 (permalink)

I don't understand something. Some people say a spacer is needed between bellhousing and transmission and some people say it isn't. Does anyone know which models require the extra spacing and which don't? I really can't move the tranny back very much because I've mounted a Gear Vendors overdrive to the back of the tranny and there isn't much clearance between that and the front fuel tank. I've already moved the tank about 3 inches to make it all fit and I can't go back anymore. I guess if I need to I can move the engine forward. Anyway, I'm still confused as to why some swaps require the extra spacers and some don't. Can someone help me out?

Thanks,

Ron
Old 04-24-2010, 00:12   #8 (permalink)

Old thread but here's my $.02

You can use a 390 flywheel (I did) if you have a pre-75 early internally balanced 460.
Two pilot bushings (bearings) can be used, the large one that fits in the very back of the crank or I used a 5.0 Mustang pilot bearing that will fit in the crank about 3/4" deeper to allow you to use a small block transmission.
I used 390 truck motor mounts on my 84. One hole had to be oblonged with a round file.
I swapped over from a 351W to a 460 using a 351M bellhousing and block plate.
88geetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech