429 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 17:23   #1 (permalink)
DRD

I have a 1979 F250 with a 460. I am going to install a rebuilt carbureted 429 out of a 1988 F700 that I was given. My question is will everything off of my 460 (oil pan, timing cover, water pump, intake manifold) fit on the 1988 429 since they do use the same block. Thanks for your help. My main question is are the block and heads the same?

Last edited by DRD; 12-08-2008 at 18:56. Reason: Additional information
DRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2008, 21:41   #2 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRD View Post
I have a 1979 F250 with a 460. I am going to install a rebuilt carbureted 429 out of a 1988 F700 that I was given. My question is will everything off of my 460 (oil pan, timing cover, water pump, intake manifold) fit on the 1988 429 since they do use the same block. Thanks for your help. My main question is are the block and heads the same?
I advise against what you are attempting, as it is not a bolt-in swap.

Both use a D9TE-AB cylinder block, yes, and the heads are similar but not identical. The problem is that the 1988 F700 has a 429 commercial-specific truck engine that has some detailed differences from the "light truck" 460 in your F250.

While there are a lot of additional external bolt-on parts fitted to the longblock of the commercial 429 F700 truck engine, once you tear those things away it is basically a longblock that is similar in appearance but not exactly the same. If you don't know the detailed differences of these engines, then you are on dangerous ground.

Cutting to the chase: long story short, the swap you are considering will not work. Here's why:
  • The 429 Commercial truck engine uses a different crankshaft that has a huge 1.75" diameter snout. This dictates that you use all the accessories that bolt to this crankshaft snout. The accessories from the 1979 460 will not fit since the 1979 460 has a 1.375" diameter crankshaft snout, not 1.75". Also, the flywheel flange on the rear of the crankshaft is slightly different, too, and will require some machining of the lip that centers the flexplate/flywheel in order for it to accomodate the 1979 setup. In other words, the crankshaft has to be pulled and remachined to the common passenger car specs at both the snout and the flange.
  • The commercial truck pan is different (your 1979 pan/oil pump/pickup will fit)
  • The 429 commercial truck engine has a cast iron timing cover (your 1979 aluminum timing cover will fit the block but will not accomodate a seal for the 1.75" diameter crank snout!)
  • The 429 commercial truck engine has different lesser performance cylinder heads (although your intake/exhaust manifolds, etc will fit the big truck heads)
  • The 429 commercial truck engine has different length connecting rods and heavier pistons.
  • Etc.
Sometime ago, performance enthusiasts used to look for those engines because of the 1053 steel forged crankshaft. But since is has only a 3.59" stroke they are not as popular as they once were now that the aftermarket 4340 steel forged stroker cranks are readily available....but there is a very small niche market for them.

Your best bet is to start with the right engine, not the F700 engine. It will prove to be a can of worms in your swap and end up being costlier than just starting with the correct engine in the first place. By the way, should you decide to rebuild the 1988 F700 engine to 1979 specs (F250 engine parts), we have all the parts (crank, rods, heads, etc) to make this easy for you....just like an OEM 460 rebuild...and for a help of a lot less then you might think. PM me if interested.

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech