429/460 visual identification - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2007, 02:44   #1 (permalink)

429/460 visual identification

Hi,

I'm hoping to buy a 460 to fix up and put in my car one day, so I've been searching for a quick way to tell the difference between a 429 and a 460 when looking at wrecking yards etc.

Do they have the CID marked on the block like the Chevrolet and Holden V8's, or do I need to decipher the casting numbers?

Everyone seems to rave about the 460, but not much talk on the 429. Is this just a case of "If you're going to put a big block in, then do it properly", or perhaps much of the stuff I've read is drag racing related where cubes are king.
I'm getting the feeling that build costs are the same, so why wouldn't you go the 460. Much like the situation with Holden 253 & 308 small blocks here in Australia.

Sorry if this is in a FAQ somewhere, but I didn't have much luck finding anything when searching.
Any help would be great.

TRªv
Aussie Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2007, 09:57   #2 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: 429/460 visual identification

429's and 460's are identical down to every nut, bolt and part, with the only exceptions being that the crankshaft and the pistons are engine-specific (but even the connecting rods are the same).

The external appearance is the same unless the original engine tag is still on the engine or maybe the original decal on the air cleaner (not that I would trust this to ID a motor).

One way to identify 429 vs 460 is to flip the motor over and unbutton the pan. One of the crankshaft counterweights (3rd down from the crank snout) has alphanumeric markings stamped on it's edge, and these markings identify whether it's a 429 or 460 crankshaft.

429 = 4U, 4UA or 4UAB

460 = 2Y, 2YA, 2YAB or 2YABC....or 3Y or 3YA

Also, for quick identification of the crankshaft, you may look for the nodule or embossment between the first main journal and counterweight. The 460 is embossed there, while the 429 is not:

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 21:59   #3 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: 429/460 visual identification

Awesome Paul!
Thank you for the information. I've had a bit to do with GM stuff in the past, and finding Ford info is proving to be more difficult.

Ford in Australia stopped making/offering V8's in local cars for 10 years due to the oil crisis (even F350 series trucks only had 6 cylinders!), and as a result their popularity is a long way behind GM with the young guys.
Add to that the fact that Big Block engines from any manufacturer, were never offered in Australia and you can see why proven facts are more scarce than urban legends. "I once knew this bloke who had a..."

It's a good job the internet is here, and there are so many car/engine nuts about willing to help each other out!

Thanks again,

TRªv
Aussie Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 19:27   #4 (permalink)

Re: 429/460 visual identification

Nice one!

...and looking for fun
LFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech