429 project...... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2007, 15:08   #1 (permalink)

429 project......

I recently stumbled across a 1970 torino GT with a 429 4v in it, it originally came with a 351. Anyone know how to tell whether or not this is a cj, scj? The torino needs a good bit of work. It was someone's half-ass drag car. The wiring is dead, but there. Floorpans, and rear quarters are pretty much shot. Hood doesnt line up quite right, and the springs dont hold it open anymore......ultimately, i'm hoping to have around 550 rwhp, how hard will the build be for somethign like this? it has a c6 attached to it, but i want this to be a street/strip car....anyone know any OD transmissions that can handle this kind of abuse?
302f150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2007, 15:32   #2 (permalink)

Re: 429 project......

Thats a lot of hp to the rear wheels for a street/strip car. Thats more in line with a drag car. I would think flywheel hp around 550 would be plenty for the car. Considering the shape you say its in, I would worry about getting it restored with a lot of power in mind. Especially the rear-end. You will need some pretty big tires back there to hook up 550 wheel HP. I have seen 700 hp engines (flywheel HP) that wouldn't even think about hooking up. Even in high gear. Stomp the throttle and its smoke city. Granted...it could be done and is done. It is going to get expensive though. As far as the transmission goes, you can get an AOD C6 built that will handle it. Good luck in your restoration, the Torinos are pretty nice cars.
Sand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 17:50   #3 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: 429 project......

The CJ/SCJ heads have the casting number D0OE-R, which is located on the outside of the head, along the valve cover mounting rail and between the 3rd and 4th exhaust ports.

Block is D0VE-A and that casting number is locted behind the starter motor and reads vertically.

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech