429 Question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2007, 19:58   #1 (permalink)

429 Question

I purchased a 1978 Bronco with a swapped in 429, I was told it is a 1969 Police Interceptor. I am wondering if any one can tell me if they made a Police motor in 1969, or if I can determine what is really is by the casting numbers on the heads and block. I am going to rebuild the motor so I need to know what I have.

Thanks!
powerbronc78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2007, 22:28   #2 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: 429 Question

The 429 Police Interceptor was not offered until 1971. And in that year, it was basically a 429 Cobra Jet engine with D0OE-R heads. In 1972, the 429PI had it's own designated cylinder heads, D20E-AB.

The 1968, 1969 and 1970 PI motors were 428PI engines, of the Ford FE Series family (the 429/460 is from the 385 Series engine family; engine parts are not interchangable between the two engine families), so there is no such thing as a 1969 429PI engine, there is only a 1969 428PI engine.

The cylinder head casting numbers are located on the outside of the head, along the valve cover mounting rail and between the 3rd and 4th exhaust ports. The are visible simply by raising the hood and looking at the engine from either side of the Bronco. You should be able to find a cast-in alphanumeric number, possible one of the following:
  • C8AE-H (FE engine)
  • D2TE-AA (FE engine)
  • C9VE-A (385 Series engine)
  • D0VE-C (385 Series engine)
  • D2VE-AA (385 Series engine)
  • D2OE-AB (385 Series engine, PI heads)
  • D3VE-A2A (385 Series engine)
The cylinder block casting number is located on the outside of the engine block, behind the starter motor and read vertically. A 429/460 block might be:
  • C9VE-B
  • D0VE-A
  • D1VE-(various suffix)
  • D9TE-AB

For a brief read on block differences, click HERE

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech