460/460 swap... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 13:42   #1 (permalink)

460/460 swap...

Hi all! And yes, I want to swap out a 460 for a 460.

I have a 77 F250 that broke it's camshaft. Long story, it's here in another thread. My question is, what years will fit without modifications? I just need my truck, and can't afford the Long block I want right now, the economy being what it is, and have found a butt-load of 429's and 460's online, but most of them are a bit newer. I'm reasonably sure the Fuelie version won't work, but will the '85 and earlier ones fit?

Thanks for your help!

Old 11-03-2010, 18:34   #2 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: 460/460 swap...

1968-1978 engines are internally balanced, while the 1979-up engines (with the D9TE-AB cylinder block) are externally balanced. Which version engine do you currently have with the snapped camshaft? What is that block's number? Is your truck manual transmission or automatic transmission?

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 19:29   #3 (permalink)

Re: 460/460 swap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kane View Post
1968-1978 engines are internally balanced, while the 1979-up engines (with the D9TE-AB cylinder block) are externally balanced. Which version engine do you currently have with the snapped camshaft? What is that block's number? Is your truck manual transmission or automatic transmission?

Paul
It's the original engine, so I would have to say it's the internally balanced version. It has a C6.

I'm not too concerned about internal or external, I just want to put a replacement in that will accept all the pulleys and bracketry, and the intake and exhaust manifolds, if there is any difference there, so I basically want to know which year engines to ignore in my search. I'm looking at 2 84's and a couple early 90's right now that I can hear run, I just don't want to drive 75 miles to look at one that I can't use.
jim606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:21   #4 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: 460/460 swap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim606 View Post
It's the original engine, so I would have to say it's the internally balanced version. It has a C6.

I'm not too concerned about internal or external, I just want to put a replacement in that will accept all the pulleys and bracketry, and the intake and exhaust manifolds,, so I basically want to know which year engines to ignore in my search. I'm looking at 2 84's and a couple early 90's right now that I can hear run, I just don't want to drive 75 miles to look at one that I can't use.
1968-1987 should work for you. (All OEM carburetted engines). 1986 & 1987 models will have one accessory bolt hole on the end of the head(s) that is of the next larger size than the 1985 & earlier accessory bolt holes.

The 1988 & up engines are 460 FI engines and have a different top end (different heads, intake, and exhaust manifolds) and making them work is a bit more involved. For example, the earlier carburetor-style intake manifolds will not work with the FI heads, and the heads will not properly accommodate carburetor-engined exhaust manifolds.

Paul

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 15:44   #5 (permalink)

Re: 460/460 swap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kane View Post
1968-1987 should work for you. (All OEM carburetted engines). 1986 & 1987 models will have one accessory bolt hole on the end of the head(s) that is of the next larger size than the 1985 & earlier accessory bolt holes.

The 1988 & up engines are 460 FI engines and have a different top end (different heads, intake, and exhaust manifolds) and making them work is a bit more involved. For example, the earlier carburetor-style intake manifolds will not work with the FI heads, and the heads will not properly accommodate carburetor-engined exhaust manifolds.

Paul

Paul
Thank you Paul, that's exactly what I was looking for. I just bought a fresh 79 460 out of an E-350 box van that was parked due to California's ridiculous licensing fees, then scrapped due to an over zealous code enforcement officer.

According to the paperwork, it had 7,143 miles on the rebuild. 500 bucks, and it came with everything from the carb to the pan, fan to front drive shaft yoke. And I don't even have to clean it. LOL
jim606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech