460 ATF Change - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2008, 10:20   #1 (permalink)

460 ATF Change

I have a 1996 460 in my Class C motorhome. I want to change the ATF. On the bottom of the transmission there is a pan similar to a crankcase drain pan, but it has no drain plug. How do I get the old ATF out without removing the pan and making a huge mess?
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2008, 06:18   #2 (permalink)

Re: 460 ATF Change

I don't beleive you can, and get it cleaned properly. Also you will want to change the filter anyway.
mcoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 17:12   #3 (permalink)
Learning always

Re: 460 ATF Change

one of the best tricks I've ever seen done, is to slightly loosen the bolts all the way around, and then on one corner loosen more. this usually helps to get most of the trans fluid out at the one corner, which is usually a lot easier to catch then if you try and take the whole pan off at once.

when you got to put the pan back on don't forget to read the instructions on the gasket maker well, the last thing you want to do is screw up the gasket, have a leak or two when you put the new fluid in, and take the pan off again.

oh the memories

~adam
amarthfea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 15:51   #4 (permalink)

Red face Re: 460 ATF Change

I just completed the ATF change. For those of you like me that are clueless when it comes to ATF changes, here are my lessons learned: Initially I removed the pan with the motor home parked on the level slab where I store it. Even though I used Adam's suggestion on loosening the bolts, the ATF ran out around a big portion of the pan's perimeter, most of it missing my drain pan and making a huge mess on me and on the slab. (By the way, Mecron ATF REALLY STINKS!) The filter that mcoo22 mentioned is inside the pan. Fram sells a kit with the filter and a new fiber pan gasket. The rubber OEM gasket claims to be reusable. The Ford fluid capacity specs indicate that my transmission takes 14 quarts of ATF. After I cleaned the pan, installed the new filter, and reinstalled the pan, I put 10 quarts of ATF into the tranny. I checked the level and it was too full! The suction lines on the little hand pumps I have were not long enough to get to the pan, so it meant going under the beast again. This time I drove the front wheels onto the leveling blocks I use when camping. This gave me more working room and, more importantly, tipped the ATF towards the rear of the pan. I loosened the pan bolts, more so at the rear, and the ATF ran out in a well behaved manner out the rear of the pan. I guessed on how much to remove. Alas, I guessed perfectly, the level was then just right. FYI, do get the best level check, you are supposed to drive 20 miles to warm the ATF and then check the level with the engine running in Park.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech