460 Build - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2008, 07:51   #1 (permalink)

460 Build

I'm trying to make up my mind if i need to put dove heads on my flat top motor or d3's, the motor is going in a boat and i dont really want to worry about octane requirements.I have the dove heads ported already but have found some D 3's that might be ready to go for a good price,and i havent bought the valves for my doov's yet.
The flat top with single valve relief is suppose to be around 10.2 ;1 with the d3 heads ,so im thinking this will be the way to go. That way i could run reg unleaded if i needed to with timing changes.
What do you guys think Thanks Bryan Also if i can get some DOOE-R heads for 500 or less should i get them . use these or what would the compression be with flat tops .40 over 460 dove block.
bryanscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2008, 12:08   #2 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: 460 Build

Flat top pistons on a 466 with D3 heads will be closer to about 9.6:1 compression ratio. Put D0VE heads on that shortblock and you'll be at about 11.4:1. The CJ heads are nioce but will be a mistake in your application; the D0VEs would be much better (I have proven this over and over again).

As far as which heads to E or D3VE), this depends on what you are building and you haven't posted enough details. It is possible to get pump gas compression with D0VE heads and dished pistons.

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:18   #3 (permalink)

Re: 460 Build

Ok , its for a 17' inboard berkly jet drive. I first wanted to build a all out motor for it,but since have changed my mind. I have flat top with single valve relief LW 2602 pistons.cast iron cobra jet intake,DOVE heads extensively ported and gasket matched to cobra jet ports. I was looking for a victor,or stealth on e- bay for a good deal.

I have not bought the valve train for the heads yet or cam kit ,so i will use these head later for another motor,

I have since bought some D3 heads that have been redone,new valves,springs,valve job,some porting.So i am now building it with these for fuel reasons and the fact that i don't need that much motor in the boat as i originally planed to build.

So my D3 heads i have finished porting extensively on the exhaust side but ,

1.do i need to leave the intake side standard port matched or go out to cobra jet port match

2. For this level of motor would it be better to go with a standard port intake or a cobra jet port intake.I have the cast cobra intake but really want to get an aluminum one.so a

Stealth with standard or cobra port,or Victor which im not sure what port they come with.
3.I had planed on the 278 comp marine but i think that i need to go with the 270 now.

4.Do you think that the stock valve train would be ok or go to the conversion kit for the slot pedistal rockers .

5.Should i go ahead and use the windage tray that have already bought or save for another build.

i was thinking that with this motor , i will be shooting for around 400 horse or 450 ,and pump gas friendly,be able to run reg unleaded with careful timeing or super with more timeing , I wanted this motor to haul ass but it will be used to pull knee boarders and such more than running top end across the lake.
bryanscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:05   #4 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: 460 Build

You can run the D3's with passenger car intake ports. Use the Victor intake. You are limited to camshaft size with the D3 valve train, but 400 hp is still easy, especially since you ported the exhaust side of the heads.

With your flat top pistoned D3 combo, if you run the Summit Racing's cam # SUM-3501 you should be happy with ~375+ hp (depending on the rest of your build components/combo). If you want more than that then look to the CompCams 275DEH but you will need to cut down the vavle guides on the spring side and also use a better than stock spring.

XM270 too much for your D3-headed combo unless you want to do some extensive valve train mods.

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech