460 Cylinder head identification - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2007, 23:25   #1 (permalink)

460 Cylinder head identification

The replacement heads I received are identified on the bottom side with the following: E8TE-DA, are for a carbed engine and a guide says the casting numbers indicate the head was built in 1988 for a Truck with engineering rev DA. However, the date code tag on the top of the head under the valve cover says 7F25 which I understand means June 25, 1987.
Additionally, the supplier told me the heads were E6TE but you can see by the picture that it says E8TE. Do I have the correct understanding of the numbers and should I be concerned? (Not able to upload pictures)

Additionally, please clarify where I'm confused on these numbers because I would expect that the manufacturing date code would not be before the casting date of 1988. Or is that typical?

Note that the heads that have been removed from a 1987 motor home (E350 chassis) engine and have the following casting number: E6TE-DA and the date code tag is 7E15 (date code is after casting date unless I read the casting date wrong because the 6 may actually be an 8; sometimes they are difficult to distinguish).

Thanks for any clarification you can provide as well as helping me to feel confident that the 1988 casting can be used in place of the 1986 casting.
scubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2007, 12:05   #2 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: 460 Cylinder head identification

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubar
The replacement heads I received are identified on the bottom side with the following: E8TE-DA, are for a carbed engine and a guide says the casting numbers indicate the head was built in 1988 for a Truck with engineering rev DA. However, the date code tag on the top of the head under the valve cover says 7F25 which I understand means June 25, 1987.
Additionally, the supplier told me the heads were E6TE but you can see by the picture that it says E8TE. Do I have the correct understanding of the numbers and should I be concerned? (Not able to upload pictures)

Thanks for any clarification you can provide as well as helping me to feel confident that the E8TE-DA heads 1988 casting can be used in place of the 1986 casting.
Scubar,

Your castings dates make sense.

E8TE heads are late model heads for a carburetted engine. They were manufactured because in 1987 the 460 dropped the carb and went to a fuel injection setup that included a new fuel injection applicable cylidner head...except for the motorhomes, which remained carburetted.

The E8TE head should be a viable replacement for the E6TE head.

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:12   #3 (permalink)

Re: 460 Cylinder head identification

Thanks Paul for the clarification on the E8TE-DA heads and the valley pan.
I hope to start putting everything back together within a couple of days following the procedures in the Ford Engine 1987 Shop Manual. Any additional suggestions are certainly appreciated.

Regards,

Ron
scubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech