460, good race engine? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2005, 07:06   #1 (permalink)

460, good race engine?

Maybe not even a race engine, as I want it to be for the street mainly. Thing is, I've had a few people tell me that 460's are mainly for commercial cars and trucks etc. and I'd be better off going a 351, pfffft, what do they know. Anyway it got me thinking, back in the day 460's weren't popular in race cars or performace muscle cars. When you look back at the shelby cobras, gt500's, chargers or whatever performance muscle car of that era, all the engines are generally the smaller big block engines ie, 429 SCJ, 426 hemi's, (can't remember what chev had). So why was this the case, and what advantages would I have in going a 460. If it's such a powerful or torqy engine why weren't they popular with the supercars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2005, 20:23   #2 (permalink)
Club Phantom

Re: 460, good race engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73falcongt
Maybe not even a race engine, as I want it to be for the street mainly. Thing is, I've had a few people tell me that 460's are mainly for commercial cars and trucks etc. and I'd be better off going a 351, pfffft, what do they know. Anyway it got me thinking, back in the day 460's weren't popular in race cars or performace muscle cars. When you look back at the shelby cobras, gt500's, chargers or whatever performance muscle car of that era, all the engines are generally the smaller big block engines ie, 429 SCJ, 426 hemi's, (can't remember what chev had). So why was this the case, and what advantages would I have in going a 460. If it's such a powerful or torqy engine why weren't they popular with the supercars.

Tell the knockers to drop dead. Big blocks are awsome, I have two. There is a very real difference in driveabilty too. The ONLY drawback of a bigblock concerns weight over the front end. You probably wouldn't want to be throwing the thing into corners as much as a small block.

I actually have 3 coupes, 2 big blocks and 1 small block. The small block makes well over 600 horsepower, requires a 5000 converter and real short gears. It needs a setup like that to get it off the line hard. It's fun to drive but an animal nonetheless.

The second coupe has an alloy headed big block making over 600 as well. Converter size is smaller and diff gearing is reduced. Far more enjoyable to drive than the similarly powered small block.

The third coupe is a mild 429. Awesome cruiser, runs very high 12's. The torque of a big block is something nobody will be able to put into words for you, you will need to drive one and see for yourself.

I've had 'em all, and I absolutely worship my alloy headed cleveo, but once you've driven a big block I'd be very surprised if you would want to go back to a small block.

Cheers
COUPEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 07:15   #3 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

I've driven a big block XD and I can see why they were so popular in the era. Even with 2.75 gears (460 C6 combo & pretty stock just a 4bbl carb) it surged along so effortlessly. Front end really sat on the road, I didn't try it in any twisty bits to see how reluctant it would be to change direction though.

Depends on what you want really, you don't need a big block to go fast, and they do also have extra hassles with engineers/rego & insurance. A good alternative to consider might be a big-inch stroker Clevo.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 10:10   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUPEMAN
The torque of a big block is something nobody will be able to put into words for you, you will need to drive one and see for yourself.
True, I can imagine. Thats why I wanna get one. But then you got some people, or at least one guy on these forums going they're overated and they don't have THAT much torque, so go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Depends on what you want really, you don't need a big block to go fast, and they do also have extra hassles with engineers/rego & insurance.
True also, but as coupeman said, theres nothing like that big block feeling. I have actually been in a big block car, it was an old Chevy Impala and it was an awesome feeling. But I haven't been in very fast cars so it's hard to say. Coupeman your running all three cars with autos? how come?

Also, I've been trying to get this horsepower and torque thing down reading a lot of sites. Apparently torque is good for initial acceleration and fun but horsepower makes you win races. I'm not too sure about that though.

PS: My question was how come the bigger big blocks weren't used as performance engines. Are you better off with a 429 than a 460?
Old 05-06-2005, 22:20   #5 (permalink)
Club Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73falcongt
Coupeman your running all three cars with autos? how come?

Are you better off with a 429 than a 460?
Straight line stuff, that's why. Changing gears in a manual takes time no matter how good you are and they are much harder to get off the line. Not too many affordable 4 speed manuals out there that can cope that sort of horsepower either. Besides..... I'm lazy.

You'll probably find it harder to find a 429 compared to a 460. They're both big blocks and require the same engineers report, might as well go all the way and get the 460.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:36   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Straight line stuff, that's why. Changing gears in a manual takes time no matter how good you are and they are much harder to get off the line. Not too many affordable 4 speed manuals out there that can cope that sort of horsepower either. Besides..... I'm lazy.

You'll probably find it harder to find a 429 compared to a 460. They're both big blocks and require the same engineers report, might as well go all the way and get the 460.
coupeman i have a 460 mild mtr the bottm end has 11/1 forged pistons,arp rodbolts,heads have been ported stainless valves ,i am looking at the 514 s.v.o alloy head mtr 625 hp.not sure which way to go,what should i do to make my mtr better,it is a xw i want to run high 11s and play around in it a bit,not sure whether to just bite the bullet and buy the proven mtr.i recently picked up this unfinished project,i have just mini-tubbed it and have got 29.5x12.5 mt sportsmans squeesed under it,the auto is a reverse pattern shift t.c.i c-6 small converter,i want to do it right as i can the first time.most driving will be 2 and from eastern creek,any advice would help
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 06:23   #7 (permalink)
Club Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by reece1
coupeman i have a 460 mild mtr the bottm end has 11/1 forged pistons,arp rodbolts,heads have been ported stainless valves ,i am looking at the 514 s.v.o alloy head mtr 625 hp.not sure which way to go,what should i do to make my mtr better,it is a xw i want to run high 11s and play around in it a bit,not sure whether to just bite the bullet and buy the proven mtr.i recently picked up this unfinished project,i have just mini-tubbed it and have got 29.5x12.5 mt sportsmans squeesed under it,the auto is a reverse pattern shift t.c.i c-6 small converter,i want to do it right as i can the first time.most driving will be 2 and from eastern creek,any advice would help

Stick with what you got and save your bickies. Reasonable solid cam, victor junior manifold and 950 pro series carb and you'll run the easiest 11 in history. Obviously, a lot of it will depend on how good a port job you've had done. Big blocks don't need big converters, probably need to run 4:33 gears with a 29 inch tyre. It would still be very streetable.

You're a better man than me, a 460 in an XW engine bay equals pain in my books. An absolute nightmare to work on. Good luck to you though.
Old 05-07-2005, 14:04   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Stick with what you got and save your bickies. Reasonable solid cam, victor junior manifold and 950 pro series carb and you'll run the easiest 11 in history. Obviously, a lot of it will depend on how good a port job you've had done. Big blocks don't need big converters, probably need to run 4:33 gears with a 29 inch tyre. It would still be very streetable.

You're a better man than me, a 460 in an XW engine bay equals pain in my books. An absolute nightmare to work on. Good luck to you though.
what converter would you use(stall rate) should i have the engine dynoed first and match the torque high point,i was also thinking about using a small roller cam what are your thoughts on this
Old 05-07-2005, 17:07   #9 (permalink)
Club Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by reece1
what converter would you use(stall rate) should i have the engine dynoed first and match the torque high point,i was also thinking about using a small roller cam what are your thoughts on this
Depends on your budget. If you're chasing optimum performance dyno the engine. I always use an engine dyno, far more accurate than chasis dynos in my opinion. Any decent converter builder will want to know your engine specs anyway. Roller cams = big $$$. If your goal is high 11's I wouldn't bother.

I was at the drags last night with a mate running a 460 XD. Car weighs just over 4100 pounds. Runs on BP Ultimate. 950 Pro Car, forged pistons, solid cam, dove heads, Victor Junior. 11.56 @ 120 mph. 3500 Converter.
Old 05-07-2005, 17:48   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Depends on your budget. If you're chasing optimum performance dyno the engine. I always use an engine dyno, far more accurate than chasis dynos in my opinion. Any decent converter builder will want to know your engine specs anyway. Roller cams = big $$$. If your goal is high 11's I wouldn't bother.

I was at the drags last night with a mate running a 460 XD. Car weighs just over 4100 pounds. Runs on BP Ultimate. 950 Pro Car, forged pistons, solid cam, dove heads, Victor Junior. 11.56 @ 120 mph. 3500 Converter.
would you be able to give me more specs on this combo,was this at eastern creek i was told it was cancelled :priest
the vic junior is a dual plane manifold??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech