460 head questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2010, 19:00   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1
460 head questions

I just got a '75 F-250 and i'm buying a motor to rebuild. The block casting is DIVE-A2B which i found on here is a 429/460. My first question is how much of a difference is there between the 429 and 460 as far as power? And i'm pretty sure but can someone just tell me for sure that this will bolt up in place of a 460?

My next question is about the heads...i found on craigslist DOVE-A heads built with all kinds of goodies, the guy is selling the pair for 495. They've been hot tanked, magged, all that. The heads on the motor i bought are D3ve or Dove-3, i can't remember. I've heard that the DOVE-A heads are erally good, should i get those or is it one of those six of one, half dozen of the other situations?

Last question is with either set of heads i wanted to get them decked to get a little more power, should i even bother with this? if this means performance cams and such what all would i need?

Any advice is much apreciated, as i am just kind of learning as i go here.
andrew123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-30-2010, 12:24   #2 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic
 
Paul Kane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 548
cool Re: 460 head questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew123 View Post
I just got a '75 F-250 and i'm buying a motor to rebuild. The block casting is DIVE-A2B which i found on here is a 429/460. My first question is how much of a difference is there between the 429 and 460 as far as power?
Generally, on any given year of production the 460 base passenger car engine has more overall power than the 429 base passenger car engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew123 View Post
And i'm pretty sure but can someone just tell me for sure that this will bolt up in place of a 460?
429/460 engines, on any given year of production, use the same block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew123 View Post
i found on craigslist DOVE-A heads built with all kinds of goodies, the guy is selling the pair for 495. They've been hot tanked, magged, all that. The heads on the motor i bought are D3ve or Dove-3, i can't remember. I've heard that the DOVE-A heads are really good, should i get those or is it one of those six of one, half dozen of the other situations?
D0Ve heads will raise compression about 1.5 points over a D3VE head. However, the valve trains between the two cylinder heads are not interchangeable and so you need to purchase a a complete vavle train i order to run the D0VE heads on your later engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew123 View Post
Last question is with either set of heads i wanted to get them decked to get a little more power, should i even bother with this? if this means performance cams and such what all would i need?
In your case, it's not necessarily the heads you want to deck...it's the block. If the shortblock is not coming apart at the moment, then don't worry about it.

I suggest you use the search function and start reading.

Paul
__________________

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:24.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.