460 I need help - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2011, 01:25   #1 (permalink)

460 I need help

I am just learning about building motors, and got a 460 BBF 74 or 76 that is bored .040 everything else is stock , except for a 1407 Edelbrock. The motor was in the rain & water got in the cylinders, so I took it apart and broke glaze on the walls as well as some minor rust. I replaced the rod bearings and head gaskets, but the rings looked almost new so I just put everything back together as this motor looks like it was rebuilt not to long ago. I did not remove the timing chain, but did pull the dist. (Ist question), where do the timing marks on the cam gear and crank line up? I put the top gear mark at 6:OO and the crank at 12:00 using the "0" instead of this delta symbol on the crank gear. Did I do right?? (2nd question) can anyone tell me what size the engine is now, being bored .040 I believe everything is stock, crank is std. also on the compression gauge #1 reads 30, (turning the engine by hand) but nothing on any of the other holes. Turning this monster by hand is murder, but why don't any other holes read something on the gauge? Does it need to be cranked to read on the gauge?
Thank You all so Much
DrDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2011, 20:36   #2 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: 460 I need help

A 0.040" overbored 460 is a 0.040" overbored 460. It displaces 468 cubic inches, but please don't refer to your engine as a "Ford 468" because that is not what really it is. It is a 460 that has simply been bored 0.040" over, technically speaking.

The crankshaft gear marking that you choose to use should be in the 12 o'clock position, and the cam gear dot should be in the 6 o'clock position. The "0" is supposed to mean that the cam phasing is neither advanced nor is it retarded, but the cheapo timing sets can have their lower gear's keyway broached just about anywhere and so in most performance builds it is wise to degree the camshaft. In a stock rebuilder, it's probably no big deal and you'll be fine. On the other hand, the aftermaket timing sets with three keyways to choose from (on the crank's gear) can be broached to the 1968-1971 timing set specifications or for the 1972 & up timing set specifications. If you have a 1972 & up timing set then you should advance the camshaft 4 degrees (8 crankshaaft degrees). How can you tell which chain set you have? You need to degree your cam timing. No, having the cam timing here or there (relative to which chain you used) will not cause you to have 0-30 psi cylinder presusre. Perhaps your valves are stuck from the rain and moisture...or you honed and ringed incorrectly...or something else altogether.

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 23:09   #3 (permalink)

Re: 460 I need help

Paul thank you for your help and for answering my questions, this gives me a new starting point to consider. The honing was right, and the valves open and close, but it might be I should have used new rings anyway. This is to good an engine to blow off so I guess I will just bite the bullet and change them. Thank you again so much for helping me.
Dave
DrDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 13:41   #4 (permalink)

Re: 460 I need help

You broke the gaze and cleaned up the cylinders and put the old rings back !!!!!! ???
Yes you are learning. ( the hard way ) . which is good. We all do that. At one time or
another. What angle did you get on your cross hatch ? To do that engine again PROPERLY
I'd ( myself ) would replace the rod bearings again when you put the new rings in.
They will never seat again in the position. Remember you have already turned the engine.
Good luck.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech