460 into XA falcon??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2007, 23:54   #1 (permalink)

460 into XA falcon???

hey guys,
looking to put a 460BB into the XA, im new to BB's so as far as i know and from what people tell me they bolt straight in. is this true? i.e any mods??
I have also been told off half my mates to keep the worked 351C because its better for the street but the other half say do something different and put the BB in because the 460 has about three quarters of the power of the 351 i have stock. So what are the pros and cons of the 460 compared to the 351C?
also what do most guys do to the 460s to get good power? around 450hp want to start researching.
cheers.
Glenn.
inounv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2007, 18:05   #2 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: 460 into XA falcon???

Glenn,

I haven't any idea whether the 460 can bolt directly into an XA Falcon without any modifications; hopefully another forum member from down under can offer some insight.

450HP from a 460 can be made without hardly trying. I think that the factory 460 makes an excellent street engine once slightly modified. Great low end torque, and plenty of upper end power if you build for it. A D3VE-headed 460 can have 450 HP with little more than flat top pistons, head porting, a mild cam, oem valve train and proper tuning.

The Cleveland's cylinder block is not known for being particularly strong when it comes to high horsepower modifications. On the filipside, the 460 block can handle loads of horsepower. It's heavier than the Clevo, of course, but duplicating the power of the Clevo with a 460 is simple.

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:15   #3 (permalink)

Re: 460 into XA falcon???

Hi,
I'm a long time reader, first time poster.

I'm actually looking at putting a 460 into my XB coupe, and have been researching on and off for a while. Perhaps this will help.

Everything I have found says: Special engine mounts and exhausts, and then, yes it bolts straight in.
Apparently, no modifications are needed to the suspension towers and the standard transmission mounts fit as normal.

Engine mounts can be bought from 'Dellow Automotive', or 'The Castlemaine Rod Shop', both of which you will find on the web. 'Pacemaker' make exhausts to fit. I'm NOT associated with these companies, I just list them as you could contact them to "pick their brains".
There are probably other companies that make these parts too, and they do show up on ebay from time to time.

Not sure if any large F100 radiators would fit, or even if the standard would be fine?

Remember, I have not done this modification (hopefully one day), but I get the same answers as above from all over the web.
Good luck!

TRªv
Aussie Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:42   #4 (permalink)

Hello inounv, I run a Ford 460ci in my 1983 XE fairmont, it is a simple straight bolt in procedure, only thing you have to use is the Pacemaker extractors and the pacemaker BOTTOM engine mounts. I once owned a high performance 351 Cleveland ,but I think the 460ci has alot more horsepower and torque, my XE runs a 4 speed Toploader gearbox-I purchased my bellhousing from the Castlemaine Rod shop, My 460ci is out of the XE at moment as getting rebuild with the Scat 557ci stroker kit, Victor intake 2965 and a Holley 1150cfm Dominator,when its all put back together Im looking at 600-750 horsepower !
Jamies460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:08   #5 (permalink)
feel the rumble

Hi Inounv, like Jamies460 said - no other mods required. I have a 3 core XE radiator with twin 14" thermos to keep it cool and run a C6 trans with 9", but that is pretty much mandatory with BB's. The engine bay on XA-XC is much tighter but everything will still fit easily. One thing you might consider is notching the shocker towers for a bit more room around the headers as I have heard changing plugs aint fun. RRS do a kit for this (google it)

Jamies460: how's the build going?

XE Ute 460ci
tribal_tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech