460 marine questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2008, 08:43   #1 (permalink)
Amm

460 marine questions

Hello all,

I have done some research, but I am looking for more information.

#1 What does it take to marinize one of these?
Ford Racing Performance Parts [M-6007-521RT*]
- I would run closed cooling for the corrosion/freezing benefits and so the engine can run closer to its designed temperature
- I figure the obvious. marine starter, marine carb(what size?), marine distributer, marine exhaust
- how about cam in regards to reversion problems?
- anything else to consider?

#2 What does it take to connect the above engine to a Bravo XR drive?
- should be the same for any bravo(I II II), the XR should be irrelavant.
460ford.com :: View topic - Two new Glenwood bellhousings
460ford.com :: View topic - Any boat 460 guys?
- obviously it can be done
- sounds like glenwood will make bellhousings that can be used
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...ND+SHIFT+CABLE
- The holes that bolt #7 goes through, would have nothing to mount to on the bellhousing, but maybe that is fine?
- some sort of coupler must exist that connects the shaft of the universal joint to the flywheel

#3 What exhaust would work well with that engine?
Hardin Marine Releases 460 Exhaust System - Performance Boats Forums
- the hardin exhaust looks very good
- the glenwood logs available for 460's would work, but would probably be to restrictive?

Of course you may wonder why I don't ask my question on 460ford.com, to the guy that has obviously done this? Well, I have tried 5 times to register on 460ford.com and given sufficient time on each try, so I have given up.
Amm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2008, 15:06   #2 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: 460 marine questions

Amm,

What kind of boat will this engine be going into (model and length)?

Where will the boat be used (freshwater only, ocean, etc)?

Must you use thru-transom exhaust or are OT headers okay?

How much horsepower do you want?

Max rpm?

Minimum octane requireement?

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 15:50   #3 (permalink)
Amm

Re: 460 marine questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kane View Post
Amm,

What kind of boat will this engine be going into (model and length)?
I am building it, here is a link, offshore deep vee performance boat plans
Here are the main stats:
- Length overall 30'-2"
- Length waterline 24'-8"
- Beam 8'-0"
- Hull draft 15 1/2"
- Displacement @ DWL 5350 lbs.
- Hull weight (approx.) 2700 lbs.
- Freeboard forward 3'-3"
- Freeboard aft 2'-10"

I plan to use it as a large day cruiser, as I do not live near the ocean. I am not out to break any speed records, but over 60 mph would be nice.

This post on PB shows my most of my progress this summer, Glen-L Bandido Build - Performance Boats Forums

Quote:
Where will the boat be used (freshwater only, ocean, etc)?
Utah Lake. It's freshwater, but fairly shallow and silty. It's shallow enough that I gave up on my v-drive plans. Some years, due to water level, boats need to trim the drives up to get out of the harbor.
Quote:
Must you use thru-transom exhaust or are OT headers okay?
I would prefer thru-transom on this style of boat, but I would not rule out OT headers. It could look very cool.
Quote:
How much horsepower do you want?
Max rpm?
Minimum octane requireement?
I see 400hp as the minimum. 500hp would be nice. 600hp on the high end.
The highest octane at the pump I can get is 91, because of elevation. 91 would be fine. I am unsure on a max rpm.

Due to the cold, I can't really progress on the hull. In the spring I will be doing the stringers, so I have to choose between one engine or two. I like the idea of a single very strong engine. A 460 or 521 coupled to an XR drive is what I am planning on. I have also thought of a Merc 496, but what fun would that be?
Old 11-03-2008, 12:23   #4 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: 460 marine questions

Amm,

It looks like you've already found the boat forums. You should be able to get a lot of info there. I own a jet boat and v-drive hydro myself, but I know little about I/O outdrives...I'll try to answer what I can.

460 passenger car engines and marine 460s are based on the same long block, so marinizing a Ford Racing 521 would be not more difficult than simply bolting the marine-specific parts to the 521 longblock. Personally, I would be weary of doing so without first disassembling the engine and making certain the bearing clearances are suitable for marine use, but it would probably be just fine. Check warranty info for marine use.

If your engine is under a hatch, then the USCG marine approved carb is required, although I've never known a boat cop to look for it. If you do not have an engine hatch and the engine is in open air, then an automotive carb with flame arresstor is probably okay but check Utah state laws first. Marine exhaust manifolds will bolt up to the aluminum SCJ heads without issue. All marine PTO parts will bolt to the 521 engine's flywheel (flexplate) end of the engine. I think the exhaust reversion concerns are over-hyped, and if you are not running water-injected tubular headers, then the reversion issue is absolutely zero.

Marine coupler parts can be found at Rex Marine: Rex Marine - High Performance Boat Parts, Marine Parts, Automotive Parts & Hardware

Yes, the Glenwood logs can be restrictive in the higher hp engines as cast and require some port matching (at the exhaust mounting flange) to impreove them.

500 hp is doable even without an aluminum-headed 521 engine, and probably for considerably less cost than the Ford Racing 521, but the 521 is a nice engine indeed...and the parts give you room to grow.

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:29   #5 (permalink)
Amm

Re: 460 marine questions

Thank you lots. I'll keep updates coming as I progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech