Ford Forums banner

460 missfire

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  reece1 
#1 ·
My motor home (1977) has been just fine but after installing a rotary fuel pump at the tank and running it with the mechanical pump on the engine I now notice that the engine runs smooth at idle but as you pull away there is a distinct missfire that seems t go away as you accelerate.
The rig has been standing unused for about a year(with monthly warmups) and I decided to drop the tank (untouched since 1977) and clean it out and on the re install ad an electric fuel pump to the system.
everything went well and it fired up and went to a smooth idle but when I took it out for a spin I noted the slight shudering and hesitation as I accelerate then at cruising speed I can feel the occasional miss.
should I not have an electric fuel pump(carter) AND the mechanical???
maybe its nothing to do with the pumps ???
It just seems to be not running on all eight when the engine comes under load , put it in neutral and rev it and it sound fine
any Ideas will be most welcolme
Limey

#2 ·
limey said:
My motor home (1977) has been just fine but after installing a rotary fuel pump at the tank and running it with the mechanical pump on the engine I now notice that the engine runs smooth at idle but as you pull away there is a distinct missfire that seems t go away as you accelerate.
The rig has been standing unused for about a year(with monthly warmups) and I decided to drop the tank (untouched since 1977) and clean it out and on the re install ad an electric fuel pump to the system.
everything went well and it fired up and went to a smooth idle but when I took it out for a spin I noted the slight shudering and hesitation as I accelerate then at cruising speed I can feel the occasional miss.
should I not have an electric fuel pump(carter) AND the mechanical???
maybe its nothing to do with the pumps ???
It just seems to be not running on all eight when the engine comes under load , put it in neutral and rev it and it sound fine
any Ideas will be most welcolme
Limey
are the accelerator pumps working in the carb.what sort of carb is it.accelerator pumps are there to give a shot of fuel as the butterflys open so it does not lean out and stall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.