460 overbore - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2007, 03:33   #1 (permalink)

460 overbore

hey all

just wondering how many tho over you can bore a 460 block??

seen stroker kits going out to 557 at .80tho over.... surely at .80tho the bores wouldnt have much left in them???
MRJLB84D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2007, 11:18   #2 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: 460 overbore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJLB84D
hey all

just wondering how many tho over you can bore a 460 block??

seen stroker kits going out to 557 at .80thou over.... surely at .80thou the bores wouldnt have much left in them???
Some 429/460 blocks can go .060", some can go .080", and some have been known to go 4.500" bore (0.140" over).

It depends on the block, it depends on the criteria used as far as what you allow your minimum cylinder wall thickess to be, it depends on other factors such as rod angularity and resulting side-thrusting (side loading) on the cylinder walls, whether the block is naturally aspirated or uses a power adder such as a blower, nitrous, nitro, etc. Best thing to do is sonic check the block and see what your options are.

Incidentally, you can always build a .030" overbore stroker with the 4.5 stroke kit and make a 545 cube engine. The 557 (.080" overbore vedrsion) can come later. In other words, save your bigger overbores for future use and thereby increase the life of youre cylinder block, as 95% of the power increase in the stroker motors comes from the stroke increase compared to the bore increase.

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 04:38   #3 (permalink)

Re: 460 overbore

im going to ring and probobly buy a complete 460 soon with the shop saying all their motors gurantee std bore blocks and was only looking at going the next closest oversize (.20 or .30tho).... had no intentions at going straight out to max overbore just for an extra couple of cubes

Paul.... what would you recommend for a nice, cost effective way of obtaining close or above the 400hp mark?

i can do some porting to the heads easy enough but what cam/inlet manifold/carb would you recommend?
i was thinking nicely ported heads with tidied up runners and bowls, a single plane manifold with a 750? barry grant carb but not sure on cam size.

car will be mainly street (strip later) but want to smoke the tyres at the drop of a hat.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:18   #4 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

Quote:
Paul.... what would you recommend for a nice, cost effective way of obtaining close or above the 400hp mark?

i can do some porting to the heads easy enough but what cam/inlet manifold/carb would you recommend?
i was thinking nicely ported heads with tidied up runners and bowls, a single plane manifold with a 750? barry grant carb but not sure on cam size.

car will be mainly street (strip later) but want to smoke the tyres at the drop of a hat.
9.5:1 compression, ported heads, Weiand Stealth # 8012, Holley 850 cfm Double pumper, CompCams XE262H and associated valve
train hardware, double roller timing chain, headers.

Paul

High Flow Dynamics
Old 09-12-2007, 03:11   #5 (permalink)

is that it???!!!!

what sort of power would i be looking at for all that?

what specs that cam?
Old 09-12-2007, 04:06   #6 (permalink)

from what i have found out about that cam... the specs are smaller than the cam thats comming with my engine which the specs are .475tho both sides.... so that cam and the stelth manifold and 850 carb (holley or barry grant???) and rest of the mods to the engine and dual 3in exhaust dumped at the diff should net me how much power you think???
Old 09-14-2007, 15:48   #7 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

Quote:
from what i have found out about that (XE262H) cam... the specs are smaller than the cam thats comming with my engine which the specs are .475tho both sides....
I couldn't tell you because you have not provided all the specs to your current camshaft, but the XE262H has well over .500 lift at the valve and your cam has only .475...so how is yours a bigger camshaft? The XE is also split duration and on a 110* LSA.

Most of the power will c.ome from the head portwork, and the cam complements the porting

Paul

High Flow Dynamics
Old 09-14-2007, 22:20   #8 (permalink)

when i searched on that cam only thing i found was that it was smaller but didnt think it was right...maybe i made a typo

As for the stealth inlet manifold looks like i'll have to get one straight from the the US as no one stocks them here in OZ.

Ill find out more about that cam paul as being over .500 tho lift is definatly something id like to have.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:01   #9 (permalink)

maybe you were looking at the cam lobe lift... you have to multiply the lobe lift by the rocker ratio to get the valve lift
darrin1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech