460 Question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2007, 17:24   #1 (permalink)

460 Question

I think I have a 460 engine, in parts. The block has a Dove A and the intake has a Dove C. Does anybody know about what year the engine is? and if it was a car or truck engine? I received engine when I bought a car, originally told it was a 429, but what I can see it's a 460. Is this engine worthy of building? Thanks
Waszie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2007, 10:06   #2 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: 460 Question

D0VE-A blocks and D0VE-C heads seem to be the most preferred blocks and heads among enthusiasts. For the most part, the D0VE blocks and heads were utilized primarily in the 1970 model year vehicles only, although you might find them in a handful of 1971 vehicles as well (most likely the heads and less likely the block).

The heads are of the higher compression variety for factory iron heads, and the blocks are a 1-year only thick-main webbing design that facilltates converting the block to 4-bolt main caps, so people pay a lot for the D0VE-A blocks. The fact is, though, that any standard-web 429/460 block can usually handle more HP than most people build for, and also there 4-bolt main cap conversion kits for these blocks as well these days. But the parts you ahve are still the preferred parts.

In regards as to whether it is a 429 or 460, the best way to determine this is by following identification instructions as outlined HERE.

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 20:12   #3 (permalink)

Re: 460 Question

Thanks Paul. The crank turns out to be a 429, it was a 4U. Have a set of pistons that say 429, but they don't fit in the block, and that's without the rings. It looked like the block had a 460 stamp on it. Did they stamp the blocks like AMC? I think I just have a mixture of 429 and 460 parts?? Waszie
Waszie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 13:11   #4 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: 460 Question

429 & 460 blocks are both from the same casting mold(s).

Can't tell what pistons you might have...a picture may help.

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech