Ford Forums banner

460 Question

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Paul Kane 
#1 ·
I think I have a 460 engine, in parts. The block has a Dove A and the intake has a Dove C. Does anybody know about what year the engine is? and if it was a car or truck engine? I received engine when I bought a car, originally told it was a 429, but what I can see it's a 460. Is this engine worthy of building? Thanks

#2 ·
D0VE-A blocks and D0VE-C heads seem to be the most preferred blocks and heads among enthusiasts. For the most part, the D0VE blocks and heads were utilized primarily in the 1970 model year vehicles only, although you might find them in a handful of 1971 vehicles as well (most likely the heads and less likely the block).

The heads are of the higher compression variety for factory iron heads, and the blocks are a 1-year only thick-main webbing design that facilltates converting the block to 4-bolt main caps, so people pay a lot for the D0VE-A blocks. The fact is, though, that any standard-web 429/460 block can usually handle more HP than most people build for, and also there 4-bolt main cap conversion kits for these blocks as well these days. But the parts you ahve are still the preferred parts.

In regards as to whether it is a 429 or 460, the best way to determine this is by following identification instructions as outlined HERE.

Paul

#3 ·
Thanks Paul. The crank turns out to be a 429, it was a 4U. Have a set of pistons that say 429, but they don't fit in the block, and that's without the rings. It looked like the block had a 460 stamp on it. Did they stamp the blocks like AMC? I think I just have a mixture of 429 and 460 parts?? Waszie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.