460 stroker kit - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2005, 06:40   #1 (permalink)

460 stroker kit

found 2 stroker kits by 'SCAT' that takes a 460 to 501 or 557ci

kits range from $2150-$2695

what mods need to be done to the block to fit such a kit and would it be worth it?
MRJLB84D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2005, 16:26   #2 (permalink)

Re: 460 stroker kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJLB84D

what mods need to be done to the block to fit such a kit and would it be worth it?
You wont know exactly until the kit is sighted but normally the smaller crank will be drop in , the larger might need a little dremmel work but I suggest you ask them , do you want a huge increase in torque and more horsepower ?
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 18:11   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
You wont know exactly until the kit is sighted but normally the smaller crank will be drop in , the larger might need a little dremmel work but I suggest you ask them , do you want a huge increase in torque and more horsepower ?

hehe who doesnt!

basically just wanting to suss out the whole 460 into the xa senario but those strokers are just monsters! be one of those hush hush situations come rego time

anyone know how much i could be up for ie: engine mount kit, extractors etc
Old 11-17-2005, 21:18   #4 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: 460 stroker kit

Quote:

First of all, SCAT is one of the more reputable companies offering chinese-borne stroker kits for the 429/460 engine family. Be sure to ask the seller what brand bearings and pistons come with the kit, and hopefully you are buying from a reputable dealer and not a fly-by-night ebay deal.

The 501 kit uses a 4.14" stroke and makes a 501@.030" overbore and a 513@.080" overbore.

The bigger kit uses a 4.50" stroke and makes a 545@.030" overbore and a 557@.080" overbore.

Assuming you will be using the steel H-beam SCAT rods, then there is absolutely no crankcase clearancing required to fit the big stroker into the production block. This is true with any steel rod and most big aluminum connecting rods. Crankcase clearancing??? This ain't no chevy! The stoker kits fit the Ford like a glove.

Keep in mind that the bigger stroke kits cost a little more when you buy them and ALSO when you balance the rotating assembly. Also, be sure to have heads that can really breathe/support all the air that engine will need to take in. Big cam with the proper profile, too. Some simple block oiling mods would be a good idea. The big engines can get expensive if built up max effort, but they really produce an incredible amount of power.

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 21:49   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kane
First of all, SCAT is one of the more reputable companies offering chinese-borne stroker kits for the 429/460 engine family. Be sure to ask the seller what brand bearings and pistons come with the kit, and hopefully you are buying from a reputable dealer and not a fly-by-night ebay deal.

The 501 kit uses a 4.14" stroke and makes a 501@.030" overbore and a 513@.080" overbore.

The bigger kit uses a 4.50" stroke and makes a 545@.030" overbore and a 557@.080" overbore.

Assuming you will be using the steel H-beam SCAT rods, then there is absolutely no crankcase clearancing required to fit the big stroker into the production block. This is true with any steel rod and most big aluminum connecting rods. Crankcase clearancing??? This ain't no chevy! The stoker kits fit the Ford like a glove.

Keep in mind that the bigger stroke kits cost a little more when you buy them and ALSO when you balance the rotating assembly. Also, be sure to have heads that can really breathe/support all the air that engine will need to take in. Big cam with the proper profile, too. Some simple block oiling mods would be a good idea. The big engines can get expensive if built up max effort, but they really produce an incredible amount of power.

Paul
thanks for all that paul, was very comforting to know!

For now tho when i get round to buying the 460, what simple mods are worth while and how much power/torque does a std 460 put out and how hard is it to acheive say, 400bhp. How do they go for rev's, whats the safe limit on these big girls?
Old 11-22-2005, 08:18   #6 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

Quote:
thanks for all that paul, was very comforting to know!

For now tho when i get round to buying the 460, what simple mods are worth while and how much power/torque does a std 460 put out and how hard is it to acheive say, 400bhp. How do they go for rev's, whats the safe limit on these big girls?
At least over here in the U.S., the standard issue 460's put out 275-325Hp depending on production year (even though they were advertised as having up to 360HP). Modifying them to acheive 400BHP is extremely easy using the production iron heads, block and crankshaft. How you get to that number depends slightly on the exact components you are working with, particularly the heads.

Although the chevy guys don't see the 460 Ford as a high revving engine, it is possible to set it up that way if you wish. Even though this is true, the fact remains that these engines can generate quite a bit of power without the need to rev very high. And making one rev past, say, 7500 rpm can evolve into an expensive build. Anything over 6000 rpm and you should really be looking at aftermarket rods. While many people have run well prepped oem rods at higher rpm's/higher HP conditions, I would not feel comfortable recommending this.

What exactly is the application? Street? Strip only? Must run on pump gas? Etcetera.

Paul

High Flow Dynamics
Old 11-22-2005, 21:03   #7 (permalink)

its gotta be mainly a street engine but want it powerful enough to hold its own and also take it down the 1/4 from time to time and easily pull a burnout when the wallet says its ok.

must run on pump fuel (maybe even LPG)

maily like to have the tough idle, good torque that will light the tyres up really easy and be a good all round package. If i get 400-450hp i feel thats plenty for a street engine. Just want a fun, reliable tyre fryer that can also drive on the freeway and also traffic.... not asking to much am i?????
Old 11-26-2005, 20:41   #8 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

Quote:
its gotta be mainly a street engine but want it powerful enough to hold its own and also take it down the 1/4 from time to time and easily pull a burnout when the wallet says its ok.

must run on pump fuel (maybe even LPG)

maily like to have the tough idle, good torque that will light the tyres up really easy and be a good all round package. If i get 400-450hp i feel thats plenty for a street engine. Just want a fun, reliable tyre fryer that can also drive on the freeway and also traffic.... not asking to much am i?????
That's pretty easy, depending on the heads you end up with. Do you know what the casting number of the iron heads will be? (Most will work, some require more mods than others.)

Paul

High Flow Dynamics
Old 11-27-2005, 13:39   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kane
That's pretty easy, depending on the heads you end up with. Do you know what the casting number of the iron heads will be? (Most will work, some require more mods than others.)

Paul
nah mate i wouldnt have a clue as im still in the planning phase of the whole thing and wont be til later next year til i manage to get the project going again

what sort of things should i look out for with 460's, like, do they have head gasket failures, crack in blocks/heads etc?
Old 11-29-2005, 00:01   #10 (permalink)

Hello all, my first post here.

I too am going with a 460 in my 67 Mustang coupe. Been stockpiling parts for the whole job for a few years now. I'll lay out my plans, which may help with some of the questions this job would entail.

Will it fit? Yes. The 460 is 1" narrower than the shock towers. lol It's heavy though so aluminum heads are a plus. Maybe even a fibreglass hood, battery in trunk, etc.

I've read it's easier with manifolds or shorty headers though. Full length headers might mean lots of tweaking for fit.

Check out Edelbrock dot com website, and check out the dyno tested cam/intake/carb/head packages for 460's.

9:5 compression putting out 472 HP @ 5500 rpm
with 525ft/lbs torque @ 4500 rpm

I considered the stroker kit too, but decided to stick with stock cubes for now.

Increased weight and power mean bigger demands on suspension and brakes.
No choice here, upgrade both. I chose Ford front spindles from a 71-73 Mustang. They bolt on to 67-68 Mustangs, give you a larger spindle diameter, larger wheel bearing, larger diameter front rotor (1" bigger than stock 67 disc) and they are pretty cheap and easy to find in scrapyards. Just make sure to get the proportioning valve off the donor car as well. Also use 71-73 outer tie rod ends. :)

The rear is optional. I have a Lincoln 9" rear end I was considering narrowing
but will probably go with an "off the shelf" bolt in rear end with discs.

A rust free 1967 coupe. Subframe connectors. 8 point roll bar (S+W race cars). Custom "steel boxed" upper and lower control arms with larger balljoints (Maier). Polyurethane bushing kit for whole suspension. Large nonstock front and rear sway bars (Maier). Underhood montecarlo bar.
(all above purchased so far)

Steering. Probably go with a total control products bolt in rack and pinion.
Newly designed specifically for this model/year of car. Their website even has a link to a detailed description of the install. (it's $3000 with power steering, so i'm still saving up for it) lol Also noticed the steeroids ad, on the forum. Might go with one of their power units and mate it to the stock pump? Might be a bit cheaper.

Custom radiator. No way the stock one will cut it. lol
Aftermarket waterpump, or 1969 Tbird 429 short shaft stock pump
After market motormounts kit, or 1969 Tbird 429 mounts (supposed to bolt in)

I've probably forgot something but that's most of it so far. Comments?

PS, I'm not actively assembling yet. And this is supposed to end up primarily a street car, with occasional drag racing here and there.
don67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech