OK, here are the preliminary findings on the tear down, again
1) Timing chain grabbed oil slinger and had a little scuffle with it. On backwards, I should have been wearing my reading glasses lol.
2) while taking the #3 rocker arms loose, the #4 exhaust valve pops closed. It was hanging up. Intermittent chirp diagnosed!
3)Pulled cam and inspected lobes. Everything looks good. Nice smooth even wear.
4)Pulled right side head to inspect for damage to #4 exhaust valve. Pulled spring, valve moves freely with no binding or scars, valve guide looks like it should, (new). (Suspect lifter was sticking)
5) noticed spark plug electrode was not protruding into combustion chamber. Wrong type plugs! Had RV-12YC instead of RC-12YC.
Plan of action:
1) Since the engine is tore apart I am going to install the Lunati cam, lifters, new retainers and 10 degree locks. ALL WILL BE LUNATI
2) drop head off at machine shop to have checked by a pro. If problems are found will take the other head in for a check up as well.
3)Put it all back together using the PROPER spark plugs. I'm only human and subject to doing dumb things ok lol.
4) finish a few odds and ends and go racing!
Conclusion: A bad lifter from Comp Cams and the wrong spark plugs made for a lot of head scratching and cursing. I'm off to Summit to spend some money lol.