460ci damper - which one... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2007, 22:39   #1 (permalink)

Question 460ci damper - which one...

With this 557ci engine rebuild ( Scat 557 stroker kit ) I read in a article you must use a ATI damper and not a Fluiddamper as a fluiddamper can cause the crankshaft to brake ! the damper I was hoping I could use is the Ford one that came on my Exterally balanced 460ci ( D9TE-AB block ) with my Ford damper only numbers I can find are on the back, 6316 and 4RB6. I'm hoping some-one can tell me what Damper I have and can I use it on the Scat 9000 series crankshaft ( 4-500 stroke ) Thanks, Jamie.
Jamies460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2007, 23:02   #2 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: 460ci damper - which one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamies460
With this 557ci engine rebuild ( Scat 557 stroker kit ) I read in a article you must use a ATI damper and not a Fluiddamper as a fluiddamper can cause the crankshaft to brake ! the damper I was hoping I could use is the Ford one that came on my Exterally balanced 460ci ( D9TE-AB block) with my Ford damper only numbers I can find are on the back, 6316 and 4RB6. I'm hoping some-one can tell me what Damper I have and can I use it on the Scat 9000 series crankshaft ( 4-500 stroke ) Thanks, Jamie.
Jamie,

SCAT discourages the use of fluidampers with their crankshafts. I am not sure but I think that they will not warrany their cranks if a fluidamper was used.

All factory Ford 460 harmonic balancers (regardless of whether they originated on internal and external engines) are "zero balance" components and will work on any 460 engine/crankshaft.

The internal/external componentry is actually the flex plate (internal or external) and the crank snouts spacer that goes between the timing cover and the balancer.

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:27   #3 (permalink)

Re: 460ci damper - which one...

Paul, so I take it I cannot use this ford damper on the Scat Crankshaft, I will email Scat and get there choice of which damper to use and part number, Thanks Jamie.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:29   #4 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: 460ci damper - which one...

Jamie,

You may use any factory Ford 460 oem balancer on your SCAT crank.

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 17:48   #5 (permalink)

Is this something else I have to worry about now? lol. I just put a brand new ATI fluid damper on my 460. What, if any are the problems with them? I'm just running a stock crank.
Old 04-20-2007, 00:57   #6 (permalink)

Sand 1, Scat state to use a ATI damper on their 460ci stroker cranks, so your stock crank will be fine. Paul- I managed to track down the ATI damper part number. I did read a few articles in regards to the 9000 series cranks that did break, it was quite a few... so is there any truth in those storie's ? not to use a fluid-damper with the Scat 9000 cranks, as I do not want to destroy this VERY expensive rebuild, Thanks Jamie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech

Related Reading: 460ci damper - which one...