472 blowed up real good - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2006, 08:58   #1 (permalink)
Mustang Fanatic

472 blowed up real good

My 472 engine turned itself into hamburger on Wednesday night just putt-putting down the steet.
For sure I need a Short Block, hopefully Heads are OK, as they are FRPP CJ Alumium Heads and expensive to replace. Cam is a Lunati .621 Solid Lifter cam.

I looking for some advice, on the rebuild.
Car Details.... 4,000 lb 73 Mach1 Mustang, with 3.50 Posi rear gear, C6 auto with 2,500 stall converter, and shift kit, ladder bar type trac bars, frame connectors. I was shifting at 6,200 but occasionally 6,900rpm... (Rev limiter set at 7,000rpm) Engine had stock rods, and I think that was the failure point (not apart yet to tell).

I do not plan on building this car to the same degree this time. Just want a good reliable street/strip engine (very occasional strip) that I can rev to 6,200 rpm and not have a problem, though keep in mind I drive hard ALL the time. I am switching out the Offy Single Plane Intake for a Weiand Stealth Dual Plane (already bought it). Carb is a Holley 750 Dbl Pmpr

Questions:
1) I'm scared of stock rods now, what is an inexpensive upgrade rod for this engine and where best get them?

2) it had a large capacity Moroso Oilpan on it (9 qt?) that now looks like a Hand Grenade went off inside it so it's junk, and I want to lower the car a bit, so this is no good, do I need a larger capacity oilpan at all ? Whats wrong with the stock front sump pan?

3) Cam recommendations... I don't want the rough idle I had with the Solid Lifter .621 lift Lunati, but want the tourqe. I think a decent Hydraulic Cam should be fine, and much less expensive... recommendations ?
FRPP puts a .580 Lift Hyd stick in their E460 crate engine.

4) if I have to replace the Forged Pistons, what compression (heads are 72cc) should I be looking for in order to run Pump Gas (87) or if not doable 91 Octane gas (we can get up to 94 Octane up here but it's dear). Obviously 87 is my 1st choice. I have had great luck with Speed-Pro Forged pistons in the past, will they be OK here ?

All advice is appreciated, and keep in mind this is my 1st BB Ford engine (I'm a 351C guy) so explanations would be helpful.

Thanks so much guys !
Mach1steve
Mach1steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2006, 00:26   #2 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: 472 blowed up real good

The Eagle SIR I-beam rods is a step up from the factory rods, but for good insurance consider the Eagle or SCAT H-beam rods.

The oem front sump pan does not hold much oil AND is not well baffled, and so when you launch the car hard from a standstill, the small volume of oil sloshes to the rear of the pan and starves your front sump oil pump. This will probably kill your rods/bottom end again regardless of brand name or quality.

Can't recommend a cam with the details given but considering the weight of the car and the stall speed, you will likely be happy with a smaller hydraulic grind...based on what you say you are leaning toward. I can't offer much car combo advice.

If you want to run 87 octane gas with those 72 cc heads, then the TRW/Speed Pro L2404 pistons with the 22cc dish will get you about 9.25:1 compression ratio. But those are heavy pistons by today's standards (but they are very rugged). There are more modern (but more pricey) options, such as Probe or JE. 9.25:1 might be pushing it for 87 octane gas & aluminum heads...91 octane fuel will be no problem at all.

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 05:22   #3 (permalink)
FORD THUNDER DOWNUNDER

Re: 472 blowed up real good

Man, you reving that high with stock rods it had to happen. Here are some cool rods that handle those revs.
eBay Motors: 4340 BB Ford 429 / 460 H-beam 6800 Connecting Rods ARP (item 200021797991 end time Sep-06-06 22:09:40 PDT)
KILLERME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 23:28   #4 (permalink)

Hello Steve, Ford Racing make a very good Hydralic Camshaft for the 460ci ( Part No. M-6250-C460) it has 588/614 Lift. It retails for $125 US dollars. I just ordered one for my 460ci rebuild, for cam specs go to the Ford Racing Web site, good luck. Jamie.
Jamies460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:23   #5 (permalink)
Mustang Fanatic

that's too much lift for the torquey street engine I am building
I've pretty much settled on the Crane H-288-2 with .522/.530 max lift w/ a 2200 stall converter & 3.50 gears.
Mach1steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech