475 oiling problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 10:20   #1 (permalink)
tly

475 oiling problem

First time post, and I know this engine is not in the 460 engine family engine, it's a de-tuned 477 ford engine, or at least that is what I've been told. Here is my problem, I recently purchased a L-800 ford with a 475 engine 250 miles away from my home in a pooring rain storm. Fired it up and it had what sounded like an out of adjustment tappet only twice as loud. I bought it anyway and drove it home... it showed good oil pressure on the gauge (electric) When I got it home I pulled the valve covers and there is very little if any oil on the rockers, or running down the top of the heads.(with the engine running)
From my younger days I remember when you'd pull the valve covers on a ford you would get oil everywhere...
I have been told 1) you have a spun cam bearing. 2) all of your lifters went flat and they are not allowing the oil to get to the rockers. I have not installed a manual oil gauge yet, but the idiot electric gauge shows good pressure. Nor have I pulled the pan to see what's going on. It does not sound like a rod, or main bearing. and I've never heard of a spun cam bearing on a ford.
I have to work on this one outside, because it's toooo big to get in my shop.

What might be wrong that would keep the oil from getting to the valve train, would collapsed lifters keep the oil from reaching the tappets? or am I looking at a blocked oil passage somewhere?
Thanks.
tly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2010, 17:07   #2 (permalink)

Re: 475 oiling problem

motor has to come apart. Anything from plugged push rods to a badly worn block can
cause your problem. 260-292-312 were famous for spinning cam bearings. I had one.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:57   #3 (permalink)
tly

Re: 475 oiling problem

Ok I guess I've had better luck with Ford engines that most.

But I Find it hard to believe all of the push rods are plugged, or that the block is worn out... I don't have any manuals that cover this engine, but I tend to think there is an internal leak on the passages going to the valve train... bad castings or a crack... maybe, or a leaking plug... it has to be something that can reduce or eleminate oil from both sides of the engine, while still oiling the mains and the rods...

I guess it's a trip to the dealership for a blowup of the engine to see where the oil should be going.

Again, thanks for any ideas you might have.
tly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech