514 stroker/??distribator problems??/help - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 19:54   #1 (permalink)

Question 514 stroker/??distribator problems??/help

what would cause the dowel pins that hold the spur gear on a hei distribator to shear? and what would cause the spurs to be wore off? i was passing a string of cars and when i got back into the right lane and let off the gas the motor just died. pulled the distrubitar and thats what i found. checked the oil pump and it spins frealy. i felt like a real ass flying by that string of cars only to have to pull right over. im sure they all got a good laugh at me. any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks
will cable is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2010, 03:59   #2 (permalink)

Re: 514 stroker/??distribator problems??/help

Hi Has The Oil Pump Been Modified At All E.g Heavier Pressure Spring Also What Brand Of Dissy Is It ?
tattoo351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:05   #3 (permalink)

it has a melling high volume oil pump. the pan is a rear sump pan so we custum made the pickup tube. im not sure of the distributer brand, its the only thing i reused after rebuilding the motor. it looks just like a hyper tech hei. ive decided to get rid of te hei, i just ordered a pertronix flame-thrower distributor, with the flame-thrower coil. i dont want to put it in intill i can figure out why my last one tore up.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:05   #4 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: 514 stroker/??distribator problems??/help

Quote:
Originally Posted by will cable View Post
what would cause the dowel pins that hold the spur gear on a hei distribator to shear? and what would cause the spurs to be wore off? i was passing a string of cars and when i got back into the right lane and let off the gas the motor just died. pulled the distrubitar and thats what i found. checked the oil pump and it spins frealy. . any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Please be more specific about the combo. Does this engine use a billet steel roller cam and bronze distributor gear? Or is it a typical flat tappet hydraulic lifter camshaft with steel gear? How many hourse are on the engine?

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 17:18   #5 (permalink)

the block has been bored 80 over,scat 4.150 crank, 6.7 eagle h beam rods, srp flat top forged pistons, erson hydraulic flat tappet cam, alluminum heads that i know nothing about, chomoly rods, comp cam roller rockers, weaind stealth high rise intake, elderbrock 750 electric choke carb, hei distributar with steal gear. running on 91 octane, not sure on hp but if the headsare anything close to what i paid for a modest guess would be 450 to 500.
Old 06-03-2010, 18:13   #6 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: 514 stroker/??distribator problems??/help

Will,

If you are shearing the pins in a build as mild as yours, it is likely due to improper distributor thrust clearance than anything else in the world. It si not likely thick oil, oil pump loading, etc. as many people seem to mistakenly believe.

There is a distributor shaft end play spec and an installed clearance spec between the bottom of the dizzy gear and the block's dizzy gear thrust boss (the pad that the dizzy gear rides on once the distributor is installed). Few people understand Ford's reasoning behind the obscure specification and therefore dismiss it...but it's important to address so that the load imposed on the distributor gear roll pin is not excessive. You can't ask a roll pin to do something it wasn't designed to do.

The reason for these spec is because as the distributor is turned by the cam gear, it is thrust downward against the dizzy's thrust boss in the block. If the shaft end play and boss clearance are out of spec (too much boss clearance/not enough end play), the dizzy gear does not ride on the boss but instead is floating in mid air all the while being thrust downward by the turning of the gear.

Eventually, the dizzy gear roll pin shears downward because the spec's were not set by properly measuring/installing the dizzy gear and/or shimming the underside of the dizzy gear to take up the slack between the boss and gear. Here is the spec, please read:

To say that the Ford engines randomly shear pins rotationally is a fallacy which is assumed by those that are not familiar with the detailed workings and necessary specifications of these engines. Their fix is usually to drill oversize and put in a bigger pin though the gear. The joke about such an approach is that this is a band-aid fix that may or may not end the pin shearing, because more than likely the root of the problem has not been corrected.

Here is a picture of the dizzy gear thrust boss in the block:

If you look in the mirror's reflection in the above photo, you will see just the lightest wear (from the bottom of the dizzy gear) against the top of the boss. This is exactly how the wear pattern should look. If you have more wear, the block gets chewed up; if you have NO wear, the gear is floating and you are shearing pins.

Set your thrust clearance correctly and your problem of shearing distributor pins should go away.

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 20:46   #7 (permalink)

Hi Again Can You Measure The Width Of The Dissy Shaft Under Gear Were Oil Pump Drive Shaft Slots In For Me Cheers Brendon .
Old 06-04-2010, 16:54   #8 (permalink)

i shined a light on the thrust boss and it is pretty shiny, so is the bottom of the dizzy gear. meaning i have too much end play? with the distributor out, there is a 16th of an inch travel in the shaft. what would be the best way to measure and adjust the end play? thanks for the info and the chart. im still young so i only know enough to get me in trouble so anything i can learn is greatly appreciated by me and my bank account. breaking stuff is an exspensive way to get an education. oh, the shaft is one half inch in diameter for the guy who was askin.
Old 06-04-2010, 23:24   #9 (permalink)

Re: 514 stroker/??distributor problems??/help

The Reason I Asked Shaft Size Is That It Should Be .530" As After Market Distributors Also Can Come In A .490" If This Is The Case The Shaft Will Have To Much Movement Thus Causing Striping Of Gear And Or Braking Of Pin . This Can Happen Because Cleveland Distributors Also Fit In Big Blocks . For Example Australian Electronic Blocks Ran The Smaller Shaft So There Is Alot Of After Market Ones Floating Around I Have Several , This Is Very Much Worth Measuring Properly With Verniers Cheers Brendon .
Old 06-04-2010, 23:31   #10 (permalink)

And Also You Can Strip A Bronze Gear Not That You Had One On Yours , As I Have Running To Heavier Pound Spring In Oil Pump Puts To Much Preasure On The Gear .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech