'77 LTD 460 + ZF 5-speed in a '76 F-350 2WD - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 22:16   #1 (permalink)

'77 LTD 460 + ZF 5-speed in a '76 F-350 2WD

Hello there and thanks in advance.
My main question is what clutch and flywheel I need to use, and if i should go hydro or mech linkage. If my homework is correct the '77 motor is internally balanced, and the ZF only came on the later ('87-'95) externally balanced 460's. Also any tips or suggestions that may help my swap go smooth would be greatly appreciated. I will be hauling a trailer almost daily. The 460 has 45k origional miles on it, all stock at this point. Some help with a Boneyard list, and a parts store list would be great. Thanks again.
Scrublie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 10:39   #2 (permalink)

Re: '77 LTD 460 + ZF 5-speed in a '76 F-350 2WD

Ok well did some more research, here's what I found, please correct me if i'm wrong. If I want a 12" clutch I would have to use '78 or later flywheel and have it machined to balance, or I go with pre-'78 and use the 11". As far as Hydro or Mech, either can be done aswell, Hydro requires a clutch MC installed in the firewall, and going the mech route I'll need a tranny-side Z bar bracket fabricated. Need this swap to happen with a very low budget for now, with plans for later upgrades.
My boneyard list is looking something like:
- Rear-sump oil pan, pickup and dipstick off of any 460 truck or Van
- Coil Springs for 460 (truck came with a 300-6)
- Saginaw PS pump and bracket (4 bolt from 87-96 van)
- Stock truck manifolds (heard going headers on a nearly stock build will cost me low end torque)
- Mount towers
- Power Steering Box
Parts Store list:
- Clutch Kit (as soon as I figure which way to go)
- '68 - '72 timing chain (hear it's good for 20-30 Hp)
- All new pumps water/fuel/oil/PS
- Basic Tune-up stuffs

Would love some input on any of these points. I have done a couple builds in the past, not an expert. If there is something I have overlooked or misunderstood please let me know. Tearing into the donor car in a couple days.

Thanks
Scrublie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech