C4 behind a 460 anyone done it? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2004, 03:26   #1 (permalink)

C4 behind a 460 anyone done it?

Has anyone put the c4 behind a 460, if so where did you get the bellhousing to suit and how did it handle it. The c6 is just so bloody huge heavy and did i mention huge.
Rat460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2004, 03:32   #2 (permalink)

Re: C4 behind a 460 anyone done it?

I am about to do it behind 521 cubes. I am getting a factory bellhousing sent from the U.S at the moment. I am in touch with a few guys in the U.S who are putting up to 1200 HP through C4's..I know it's hard to believe but with input shaft,planet gears,roller thrusts,the right clutches they do work..
J.W race transmissions also make a bell housing to suit.
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 03:56   #3 (permalink)

thanks mate, i have been look for a for a place to get a bellhousing from because i really want to get rid of that c6. What have you done to that 512 of yours.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:32   #4 (permalink)
wanna be burn out king

intresting i dont recon a stock c4 would last long behind a bigblock even the old 250 cross flow can break a c4 . but i am intrested in how much the mods are to build a tough c4 that will handle a bigblock as c4,s are every where
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 10:54   #5 (permalink)

from what i've heard c6's standard are stronger than a c4, but in real high end applications the c4 is better (as long as it is tricked up) as the c6 overheats and distorts, or something like that. Anyone else confirm or deny this?
zc347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 11:07   #6 (permalink)

here's where i heard it:

http://www.automatictransmission.com.au

"How do you guys build a c6 to handle 600 hp? My auto has been rebuilt several times by different people and it keeps shi#ing itself. It died again yesterday, it has lost 2nd gear, and the auto guy thinks it may have burnt the band out. It has only done approx 250 klms and has been breathing heavy (blowing oil out the breather) since it was built. The car is a ZC fairlane, weighs approx 4000 lbs the engine is a 460 big block & should make approx 620 hp but is rather tourquey. The auto has a 3800 stall convertor (thats where the cam starts to work) and is shifted at 7000 rpm. The auto has a tci full manual, reverse pattern, trans brake valve body. it has been machined to fit extra clutches where possible. One of the clutch drums (I think high reverse) has a small hole in it to stop it being centrifically applied, which in the past would melt the clutch pack together. It uses dexron 3 oil. It runs two trans coolers, one of them has a fan on it, and the operating temps gets up to 190-210 degrees. I have heard of an "r" type servo assembly which is larger in area and helps 2nd and 3rd gear changes, have you heard of this and do you stock one? I have also heard of people driling holes in the drum where the band applys (similar to a disc rotor) to help get the oil to escape when the band is applying, to get it to apply quicker. Any help appreciated. Mick
Unfortunatly the C6 will not hold 600Hp very well. Although a large auto they are very pron to case twist in all high Hp applications witch inturn causes the valves to jam in the valve body. A Powerglide is going to the only thing that is going to work well and in the long run will work out cheaper. You will need an adaptor plate for the front of the transmission and will need to change a few things to get it in but it's the only way out. The C6 transmission handled far less punishment than it's smaller brother the C4."
zc347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 21:35   #7 (permalink)

Hmmmm.... well looks like I might have to start looking into the powerglide opition. I had thought about using a powerglide, but I think it might be a while before I'm making 600 neddies. Thanks for the info guys, it really helps being able to talk to people how have been there and done that, as I have only just turned 20 and still have alot to learn.
Old 03-21-2004, 01:03   #8 (permalink)
wanna be burn out king

intresting very intresting i recon the 727 torq flight would be a good option too
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 01:02   #9 (permalink)
TuffZc and pursuit

frown Re: C4 behind a 460 anyone done it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zc347
here's where i heard it:

http://www.automatictransmission.com.au

"How do you guys build a c6 to handle 600 hp? My auto has been rebuilt several times by different people and it keeps shi#ing itself. It died again yesterday, it has lost 2nd gear, and the auto guy thinks it may have burnt the band out. It has only done approx 250 klms and has been breathing heavy (blowing oil out the breather) since it was built. The car is a ZC fairlane, weighs approx 4000 lbs the engine is a 460 big block & should make approx 620 hp but is rather tourquey. The auto has a 3800 stall convertor (thats where the cam starts to work) and is shifted at 7000 rpm. The auto has a tci full manual, reverse pattern, trans brake valve body. it has been machined to fit extra clutches where possible. One of the clutch drums (I think high reverse) has a small hole in it to stop it being centrifically applied, which in the past would melt the clutch pack together. It uses dexron 3 oil. It runs two trans coolers, one of them has a fan on it, and the operating temps gets up to 190-210 degrees. I have heard of an "r" type servo assembly which is larger in area and helps 2nd and 3rd gear changes, have you heard of this and do you stock one? I have also heard of people driling holes in the drum where the band applys (similar to a disc rotor) to help get the oil to escape when the band is applying, to get it to apply quicker. Any help appreciated. Mick
Unfortunatly the C6 will not hold 600Hp very well. Although a large auto they are very pron to case twist in all high Hp applications witch inturn causes the valves to jam in the valve body. A Powerglide is going to the only thing that is going to work well and in the long run will work out cheaper. You will need an adaptor plate for the front of the transmission and will need to change a few things to get it in but it's the only way out. The C6 transmission handled far less punishment than it's smaller brother the C4."

Hey that's my post about my car

Mick

*UPDATE * Pursuit has just run 11.763 and 116.18 mph making it Australias Quickest and fastest unopened boss as well as Australias Quickest and fastest naturally aspirated Boss
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 17:34   #10 (permalink)

I have had a C6 Auto behind my 429SCJ for over 7yrs.

I changed the Hi-Stall convertor to a full race 3500RPM last year, while I had the C6 out I took it up to Greg Whittaker at All Trans on the Gold Coast that originally built the C6 for me, Greg dismantled the whole C6 and there was nothing wrong with it.
It even still had the Painted part numbers on the clutches, also there are 3 different size Oil Pans you can get for the C6.

Greg originally fitted extra clutches into my C6 from the beginning, so that might be a problem where your C6 is over heating re not enough clutches and is slipping to over heat the oil.

I run my C6 through a Tansmission cooler only with a thermo fan right behind it, and have never had any overheating problems at all with it.

Re the C4, I went through this episode with Greg Whittaker and it would be advisable to steer well clear of this conversion.

I would recommend anyone to contact Greg Whittaker at All Trans at Currumbin on the Gold Coast before wasting your money, what greg knows about High Performance applications is unbeleivable.

Gregs name is well known around the Drag racing scene.

I hope this is of help.
I would not even think of going anywhere else for a Tranny.

Last edited by ESP_429SCJ; 03-22-2004 at 17:37.
ESP_429SCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech