Cylinder Head Replacement - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2007, 21:09   #1 (permalink)

frown Cylinder Head Replacement

I'm planning to replace the heads on a 1987 460 engine and I see that there are 3 exhaust manifold studs already sheared off. Any ideas on how I can prevent others from breaking when I try to remove them (other than WD-40 or PB)? The engine is in a motorhome with 31K miles. Given the low mileage, would it also make sense to change the hydraulic valve tappets while I have the heads off?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
scubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2007, 15:01   #2 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: Cylinder Head Replacement

I don't have any special tricks for preventing corroded studs from breaking during disassembly; somebody else might. You will probably need to repair those threaded holes while the heads are off the engine.

I do not recommend changing out the hydraulic lifters as they are broken in with the camshaft. 31K miles is little time on them anyway.

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:28   #3 (permalink)

Re: Cylinder Head Replacement

Thanks Paul for your response. I'll be replacing the factory exhaust with Thorley headers and converting to dual exhaust so that should help to prevent future shearing of studs.

Any tricks for popping the intake manifold and heads off? I don't want to mark up sealing surfaces by prying at the wrong places.

Regards,

Ron
scubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 04:50   #4 (permalink)

Re: Cylinder Head Replacement

for the heads- a good 5lb dead-blow hammer works pretty good for knocking them loose. the intake just use a flathead screwdriver and pry up the front- the front and rear seals suck anyways so when you throw the intake back down just use a bead of high temp rtv silicone on the front and back... just make sure you let it cure for a couple minutes before putting the intake back down.
darrin1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech