Ford Forums banner

Distributer question.

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  reece1 
#1 ·
Is it difficult to put in the distributer? Having problems with the oil pump rod. I tried using another old distributer as the primer tool (after fixing it) and the hole on my 429 is smaller then the primer tool. Is there different kinds of distributers for 460 with larger holes?

I bought a Mallory 2 points distributer from a single points and need to know how to get TDC at hole #1. Buy the way, do you guys know the firing order on the block and distributer?

Thanks for all the help. Trying to get the jetboat going.

YKNWT

#2 ·
UPDATE: Got a new primer, started turning it counterclockwise with a dril, to no avail, no oil priming out of the rods. Some have told me that the oil pump needs to be primed prior to install, some have told me to just pour about a litre or 2 down the distributer to prime pump. Still nothing. The motor is back in the boat and ready to go, just need OIL! Any ideas?????NEED HELP. By the way, got the firing order too.

YKNWT said:
Is it difficult to put in the distributer? Having problems with the oil pump rod. I tried using another old distributer as the primer tool (after fixing it) and the hole on my 429 is smaller then the primer tool. Is there different kinds of distributers for 460 with larger holes?

I bought a Mallory 2 points distributer from a single points and need to know how to get TDC at hole #1. Buy the way, do you guys know the firing order on the block and distributer?

Thanks for all the help. Trying to get the jetboat going.

YKNWT

#3 ·
how did you go, it is always a good point to prime the pump with oil prior to fitting. even pack it with vaseline as this really works well (its not just for w##king you know) and it is a base line product so it will not harm your mtr or contaminate your oil.
if mtr is together you can overfill mtr with oil above pump and wind up oil pressure by hand this does work but do not try and start this after you obtain oil pressure.
drain excess oil back to correct level, remove spark plugs and wind mtr over by hand incase you put a little tooo much oil in and it made its way on top of a piston so it drains and wont hydraulic the mtr. then you can fire up the beast and be sure to keep an eye on the gauge if you are sus on the oil pressure it is always good to use a master gauge. there is a few other ways to get the pump primed as well but this is the cleanest and easiest. hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.