Dove C Heads Help - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2010, 13:47   #1 (permalink)

Dove C Heads Help

I have a 460 stroked 557, 13 to 1, 1050 quickfuel, 2-1/8 primary, 4" collectors. The Heads on this are ported dove c heads, also biggest valves installed. (engine builder selected these heads) I have approx 4 k into these heads. My question, the port work was done to enlarge, and match to victor, scj intake, and scj header flange. Is this head the best flowing head, or would a ported scj head flow more, or an aftermarket head flow more? The head has to be steel to use in my class.
RoosterRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2010, 20:54   #2 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: Dove C Heads Help

The D0VE heads are the most sought-after passenger car heads and, properly prepped, can support a lot of horsepower. Sounds like yours have had a maximum amount of work done to them. They have been known to supprt about 750 hp on carbs and gas.

The Iron Cobra Jet heads (casting number D0OE-R), once properly prepped, are capable of supporting more power on a 557 than a pair of D0VE heads. This assumes a naturally aspirated class where upper rpms are the approach to making that power on that 557. The reason for this is the iron CJ's gargantuan as-cast intake ports.

You have not provided enough details about your engine combo for others to determine which head might be the better choice, but given the displacement of the engine I am already leaning toward the CJ heads, even though the D0VEs can do a very good job of making power.

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 21:04   #3 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

The Flow Technolgies EX514 iron heads are probably the most capable of prodUcing really BIG power. They are offered in iron, so as long as your rules do not require a factory OEM head then these aftermarket heads will support some big power. They weigh around 100 pounds each, unassembled.

WEB PAGE WITH THE HEADS: Products

Paul

High Flow Dynamics
Old 04-05-2010, 07:56   #4 (permalink)

Re: Dove C Heads Help

Paul what other info do you need? The cam is comp cam , gross lift.692 duration@ .050 intake 271 exhaust 271, lobe lift .4000, lobe separation 108.0 The pistons are mahl flat top. bore is 4.500 engine is pilled at 6500 rpm. It is a d1ve block, with 5/8 steel girdle. Really dont want bigger cam, higher r.p.m. because of block application, just need this to flow. The ex514 heads are too heavy, and would require intake, and new headers....wich were custom built. Are the ford motorsport heads (john kaase based with revised valve angle) use all of my rockers, guides, pushrods, girdle, etc? If so I would use these.........they could not tell me that info. The heads dont have to be stock based, just steel. The engine in current build put 570 h.p. to the ground, with 4500, 11" stall, running through a transfer case, in 2 wheel drive
Old 04-05-2010, 18:37   #5 (permalink)

Re: Dove C Heads Help

Ford motorsport heads only available in aluminum. I looked at those ex514 heads, they are the best application, wish I would have done this in the very begining........but then I guess the"engine" builder would not have been able to pocket as much money, by the way the orig. engine he built lasted 4 passes, then junk. This is my concern for what I have left of his orig. build,and parts selected.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:25   #6 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

The EX514 heads have larger combustion chambers and therefore would lower your compression ratio. They also have a different valve layout and so you would need new pistons as well, in addition to the other parts you already noted.

The CJ heads I am talking about are factory Ford iron CJ heads, casting number D0OE-R. I am not talking about the Ford Racing aluminum heads (which also have a revised valve layout). The iron CJs have an as-cast intake port runner volume of about 290-300 ccs, whereas the D0VE heads have about a 260 cc intake port runner volume. The D0VE port can be port matched to the CJ intake gasket but cannot be fully enlarged to CJ-size for the entire length of the intake runner. The iron CJ heads have chambers about the size of the D0VEs (2-3 cc's smaller), OEM valve sizes are 2.25/1.725, etc.

Given your iron head rule, the rpms you want to run, current combo, I think the iron CJ heads are the way to go. I also think that a slightly different camshaft with a split duration profile (favoring the exhaust) might also help increase power.

I would suggest you speak with Bret Powell at PFC Racing Engines. He is a puller that runs in an iron head class and really knows how to make the iron CJ heads work well. Tell him Paul Kane sent you.

Bret Powell
PFC Engines
Iberia MO 65486
573-793-2177

Paul

High Flow Dynamics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech