DOVE vs C9VE Heads - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2008, 17:45   #1 (permalink)

DOVE vs C9VE Heads

I'm still working on this 429 and I'm in the process of porting the exhaust side on my DOVE haeds. I did the intakes a few years ago but was scared to get into the exhaust very much after getting into a water passage. I'm down to my two good DOVE heads and one rusted up C9VE head. Question is, Are these two the same heads as far as wall thickness in the ports?? I'd like to take the C9VE head and have it sliced in various places, to have an idea where I can open things up without getting another hole into the water passages. My main concern is the bottom of the port, looking at it combustion chamber down. That's where I struck water last time. Thanks for any response. Any links to some websites with pics and/or advice on these heads will be appreciated also. Later.
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2008, 14:13   #2 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: DOVE vs C9VE Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by junker039 View Post
I'm still working on this 429 and I'm in the process of porting the exhaust side on my DOVE haeds. I did the intakes a few years ago but was scared to get into the exhaust very much after getting into a water passage. I'm down to my two good DOVE heads and one rusted up C9VE head. Question is, Are these two the same heads as far as wall thickness in the ports?? I'd like to take the C9VE head and have it sliced in various places, to have an idea where I can open things up without getting another hole into the water passages. My main concern is the bottom of the port, looking at it combustion chamber down. That's where I struck water last time. Thanks for any response. Any links to some websites with pics and/or advice on these heads will be appreciated also. Later.
C9VE and D0VE heads are so damn identical that you can run a C9VE on one cylinder bank and a D0VE on the other cylinder bank and your engine won't know the difference. The only difference you may or may not find is that the D0VE head might be drilled for smog pump passages or it might not (C9VE's are never drilled for smog pump passages).

When it comes to porting the 429/460 factory iron, DO NOT lower the floor of the exhaust port as you have described (and hit water). The "short turn radius" (the tight corner/turn of the exhaust port floor that turns down to the valve seat) should be smoothed but not lowered....and there are other tricks in this area.

The C9VE head is a fine cylinder head...one of my personal favorites, and I cringe at the idea that you want to cut it apart! If you must section a cylinder head, then cut the junk D0VE head in which you already hit water.

Lastly, the best thing you could do right now is subscribe to the Ford 460 head porting website. For a measely $25 you will be able to navigate through dozens and dozens of pictures and detailed written explanations on very effective porting techniques for these heads. The $25 invested is much, much less than the cost of replacing the head that you destroyed...and will save you from hitting water in other places.

Click Here and subscribe:

Re-In-"Car"-nation High Performance and Automotive Repair/index

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 14:35   #3 (permalink)

Re: DOVE vs C9VE Heads

Thanks, Paul. You helped a lot. I think I will get on over to 460 site and see what they have. And about that C9VE haed. The main reason for using it to cut up, is the metal in that particular head, seems to be "soft". It's hard to describe but. just touching a rotary file bit to it, takes off a lot of material. About like grinding on wood. Way softer than any other cast I've worked with. I don't know if it's a bad casting or if the metal was contaminated when made. I just don't feel comfortable using that head. Any thoughts on the soft metal?? Again, thanks for your time on this matter.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:07   #4 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

Quote:
And about that C9VE haed. The main reason for using it to cut up, is the metal in that particular head, seems to be "soft". It's hard to describe but. just touching a rotary file bit to it, takes off a lot of material. About like grinding on wood. Way softer than any other cast I've worked with. I don't know if it's a bad casting or if the metal was contaminated when made. I just don't feel comfortable using that head. Any thoughts on the soft metal?? Again, thanks for your time on this matter.
Like grinding wood? Wow. I don't know what to think about your description of the C9VE's material hardness (or actually, softness!). Does this head seem softer than other C9VE castings? Also, consider that it has been run successfully for decades on an engine without issue. Maybe the engine was severely overheated/in an engine fire? I can't say for sure...but I certainly wouldn't cut it up just yet. Nor should you need to if you subscribe to the porting website that I pointed you towards...by the way, that website also has cutaway pics so that you don't have to do this to your C9VE.

Paul

High Flow Dynamics
Old 11-15-2008, 19:44   #5 (permalink)

Thanks again, Paul. Yes, it's very soft. I'll just put it back behind the door, where it's been for at least ten years. Makes a good door stop anyway. I've got to go out junkyardin' again soon and see if I can find another head that's cracked or otherwise unusable. About the website you listed: it hasn't been updated since May of 05. Is everything still working?? I'd rather not give away twenty five bucks if all the tech help isn't there any more. But, if it's all still available, it's a good deal. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2008, 13:25   #6 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks again, Paul. Yes, it's very soft. I'll just put it back behind the door, where it's been for at least ten years. Makes a good door stop anyway. I've got to go out junkyardin' again soon and see if I can find another head that's cracked or otherwise unusable. About the website you listed: it hasn't been updated since May of 05. Is everything still working?? I'd rather not give away twenty five bucks if all the tech help isn't there any more. But, if it's all still available, it's a good deal. Thanks.
The information on Scott's website is invaluable to any home porter such as yourself, nevermind the date coding....which I am 100% certain has been revised several times since 2005.

We have lots and lots of factory iron heads over here if you need one. PM me with details.

Paul

High Flow Dynamics
Old 11-18-2008, 17:16   #7 (permalink)

OK. Thanks. That's where I'm going shortly.
Old 04-27-2009, 20:42   #8 (permalink)

Just an update. I spent most of the winter reading and grinding on these heads. I did manage to find a cracked C9VE head and sliced it up. Boy, that floor is really thin on the exhaust port. But, no material was taken off the floor anyway. It took two end grinders and a bunch of back pain but it's all ported and together again with new seats and guides, springs and keepers. The ole 429 is once more all one big hunk of iron bending up my engine stand. Now comes the C-6. (you know of a good source for trans tricks??)
Thanks for all the info and for pointing me to Reincarnation.com. Fantastic work those guys have done.
Old 07-28-2009, 18:47   #9 (permalink)

Hello. Another update. It's all together now and waiting for me to get the frame ready for it. My carb is still in the shop and the C-6 is still waiting for my help rebuilding itself. But, each year, it's getting a little closer for a road trip. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 429.jpg (124.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 07-28-2009, 18:58   #10 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

Can't wait to hear how well it runs.

Paul

High Flow Dynamics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech