drags with double pump carb? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2005, 00:52   #1 (permalink)
FORD THUNDER DOWNUNDER

drags with double pump carb?

Hi all. just wanting to know if there's things I can do to make my take off's better
I have mild 460 c6 750 square bore double pumper with 2.75 rear, It goe's great on open road and around town.
The problem is some time's on launch,s from stand still it can stall and rest of the time it fries the rears. I have even had it bog from first to second only after it shifts, only with more weight in the car. With just me and 1/4 tank it's ok.
To eliminate this I was thinking of putting a 2000 stall converter... or the other option is higher gears.
What do you think,, has anyone have idea's and have done this?
I have tryed 750 quadrajet,, but the only good for economy. So gone back to WOT yeha!
KILLERME is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2005, 01:47   #2 (permalink)

Re: drags with double pump carb?

How about a higher stall converter AND lower gears?..........this would turn your car into an animal! Your bogging down and stalling would turn instantly into tyre frying

What is your current rev range (cam) and top limit? What's your current cruise RPM?

I'm assuming you have plenty of torque with the 460. For mild setups 2000 stall would be OK. And with a set of 3.5 diff gears.........you'd better hang on!

What car is it in? Do you mind it revving a little higher on the highway? 3.5's would be about 2700 @ 100km/h. 3.2's about 2500.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:52   #3 (permalink)
FORD THUNDER DOWNUNDER

I have a XD Fairmont sleeper, not in mint shape like yours. My cam has range 6000rpm. and @ 100kph it,s 2300rpm.
I think I will go for a 2000 stall, and chuck my spare 3.0 spool head back in and try it.
Cheers
KILLERME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 05:46   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLERME
I have a XD Fairmont sleeper, not in mint shape like yours. My cam has range 6000rpm. and @ 100kph it,s 2300rpm.
I think I will go for a 2000 stall, and chuck my spare 3.0 spool head back in and try it.
Cheers
how tall are your tyres,i had 4.11 in my xy with 255/15/70 series this made it a totaly different car because the tyres were tall the ratio was not so bad,then i put a 3500 stall in and it took off like an animal,i let my friend have a drive and told him to stick his boot into it and he pulled the collapsable sleeve apart in the steering column he thought it was awesome.it was ok to drive around but not everyday.
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 05:49   #5 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

I'll put $ on traction causing your bog down which will turn into over fueling. I'm experience with that myself due to an understalled car. Worked well on street tyres due to wheelspin. As soon as I got traction (slicks) it bogged down. Fixed with going from 3500->4500rpm convertor.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:17   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
I'll put $ on traction causing your bog down which will turn into over fueling. I'm experience with that myself due to an understalled car. Worked well on street tyres due to wheelspin. As soon as I got traction (slicks) it bogged down. Fixed with going from 3500->4500rpm convertor.
beleive it or not my car went better with a 800 spreadbore double pumper on it and i had tried both, i seen one on ebay at the moment they are cheap nobody wants them for some reason they are also not bad for cruising.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:25   #7 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by reece1
beleive it or not my car went better with a 800 spreadbore double pumper on it and i had tried both, i seen one on ebay at the moment they are cheap nobody wants them for some reason they are also not bad for cruising.
hehe weird? Maybe a lean condition? I know the spreadbores dump truck loads of fuel in once the secondaries open As long as it works Who cares
Old 05-08-2005, 06:32   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
hehe weird? Maybe a lean condition? I know the spreadbores dump truck loads of fuel in once the secondaries open As long as it works Who cares
your right its totally going against the grain,i initially only bought it to get car on road coz it was cheap then bought a 750 d.p sqaurebore and was dissapointed,everyone knocked it but it worked well !i wanted to try the 850 annular discharge but never got the chance.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:34   #9 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

You should stay quiet. I'm getting tempted to fiddle with carb sizes on my engine. My bank managers already unhappy.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:45   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
You should stay quiet. I'm getting tempted to fiddle with carb sizes on my engine. My bank managers already unhappy.
brenx did you change carbs,what was the outcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech