Ford Forums banner

Electric pump inline with a mechanical pump

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  limey 
#1 ·
I was told you could install a carter rotary pump AT (not in) :help: :help: the fuel tank and use it to pump the fuel up to the regular mechanical pump on my motor home with a 460 in it
I would like to hear from any one who has first hand experiance with a set up like this.
I was wondering if the preasure from the electric pump would damage the mechanical pump or if the diaphram in the mechanical pump would be overcome and let fuel into the engine sump
Any information would be most welcome
Limey

#2 ·
limey said:
I was told you could install a carter rotary pump AT (not in) :help: :help: the fuel tank and use it to pump the fuel up to the regular mechanical pump on my motor home with a 460 in it
I would like to hear from any one who has first hand experiance with a set up like this.
I was wondering if the preasure from the electric pump would damage the mechanical pump or if the diaphram in the mechanical pump would be overcome and let fuel into the engine sump
Any information would be most welcome
Limey
why do you want to do this is there a supply problem? you could probably use a smaller pump like a lift pump. the carter would work but you could have issues with flooding although you could use a reg but this is not a good set up in my opinion. if you were to do this you may as well bypass the mech pump.
you can purchase a higher volume mech pump as well.
the real question from me is what probs are you experiencing to make you want to do this?

#3 ·
Well. thanks REECE1 for your thoughts I went ahead and did this and have just returned from a thousand mile trip where everything seemed to work just fine.
the problem of long cranking on a cold engine was eliminated as it fired up pronto every morning and I do not think I had any flooding.
what I did notice was that the Carter pump (in an outside cupboard at the rear of the rig) did get quite hot to the touch.
One other reason I wanted to do this was to get the fuel up to the mechanical pump while climbing mountains, the engine is a good twenty feet from the tank.
Any way, I am now thinking that it would be nice to be able to turn on the electric pump only during a steep climb but I will have to thnk obout how to plumb this up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.