Ford 460 rear crank extension engine swap - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2009, 14:26   #1 (permalink)

Ford 460 rear crank extension engine swap

Hi All,

I doing an engine swap in my 1978 F-350 from a 400m to a 460. I'm keeping the NP435 tranny. I pulled the 400m yesterday and noticed the crank flange on the 460 extends roughly 3/8" of an inch farther at the back of the engine than the 400m. L and L sells a flywheel/clutch kit that according to them allows for no modifications and everything bolts up with proper spacing and clearances. I have a couple of questions. Has anyone here used a kit like this and is it as easy as they claim? The clutch from the 400m looks to be a 12" and the one listed on the L and L website doesn't say how big it is (I use this truck for towing my 31 foot 5th wheel) but I suppose I can contact them regarding that, but I'm concerned about the hefty price tag and if the installation would be as easy as they claim. Does anyone here have any knowledge/experience with this? What other options are there? I read somewhere that spacers can be used between the engine & bellhousing but I'm unsure if that will work as well. Can someone with experience with this give me some pointers?

Thanks in advance,

Ron
Rlzegers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2009, 12:17   #2 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: Ford 460 rear crank extension engine swap

Ron,

Sorry I don't have the answers to your specific questions, but I do have a few pointers:
  • The clearance difference between the two crank flanges is probably addressed by engine-specific bellhousings that are bolted to the NP-435...I don't know this for sure but you should check it out.
  • If the 460 engine that you are using came frm an AT trans vehicle and needs a flywheel for the manual trans, then be sure to determine whether you need an internal balance or external balance setup, regardless of whether it comes with the kit or you must find it yourself.
Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 21:23   #3 (permalink)

Re: Ford 460 rear crank extension engine swap

Thanks Paul.

I while back with your help I figured out I have an internal balanced engine and I know to get the proper flywheel. While doing some research I've read about some who need to use the spacers as I mentioned earlier but if memory serves I think the spacers were 1/8" thick. The difference in extension is 3/8" which makes me nervous but I suppose there could be a counterbore in the new flywheel that the flywheel for the 400m doesn't have which would make up some of the difference but I simply don't know. I don't know if all 460s had the same extension which makes me wonder if the L & L will work. Being mail order and quite expensive I want to be as sure as I can before I place the order. The 460 was marked 1971 Lincoln.

Thanks again Paul.
Rlzegers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech