Ford 460ci engine Rebuild - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2006, 00:10   #1 (permalink)

Question Ford 460ci engine Rebuild

Hello, Im rebuilding my 460ci and would like to find out if the stock 460ci head and cap bolts can handle 11-1 compression as i have ordered the Keith Black 401 dome pistons ( 060 over ) my 460ci is a D9TE Block- Externally balanced. would it be best to have the Crankshaft and Conrods balanced ( change spacer & Flywheel to match ) as i would like to rebuild it to High performance, i also ordered the Ford Racing camshaft M-6250-C460. Hydralic cam with 588/614 lift, has any-one used this cam in there 460ci ? as on the Ford Racing web site there is no power-range for this cam, only lift details as i plan to buy the Torker 2 intake ( 2'500 to 6'500 RPM range ) ....Thanks Jamie.
Jamies460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2006, 23:46   #2 (permalink)

Re: Ford 460ci engine Rebuild

External balance will be ok. I have used that cam in 460 crate motor.Made power to 6400 on the dyno with a victor manifold. Stock head bolts would be ok BUT for a high performance build new ARP head bolts and a main stud kit would be good insurance.
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 02:27   #3 (permalink)

Hello gregaust, Thank-you for your reply, i am thinking of buying a main stud girdle for bottom end insurance, it comes with high tensile studs and nuts. The Carb i intend to use is a Holley 870cfm street avenger carb, it has had its choke milled off for increased air-flow and the insides polished, its a large vacume secondry carb , will it match the cam ? Thanks Jamie.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:49   #4 (permalink)

That carb will work ok.If you don't have it already i have been having success lately with 950's seem to run real nice.The 870 will be fine though.The engine i mentioned above had a 850 annular holley.
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 17:47   #5 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: Ford 460ci engine Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamies460
Hello, Im rebuilding my 460ci and would like to find out if the stock 460ci head and cap bolts can handle 11-1 compression as i have ordered the Keith Black 401 dome pistons ( 060 over ) my 460ci is a D9TE Block- Externally balanced. would it be best to have the Crankshaft and Conrods balanced ( change spacer & Flywheel to match ) as i would like to rebuild it to High performance, i also ordered the Ford Racing camshaft M-6250-C460. Thanks Jamie.
My .02 is that given the cam, compression ratio and intended rpm range of your build, I feel that such an engine kept in good tune can very easily be built using the factory oem head bolts and main bolts...no problem whatsoever.

While a stud/girdle kit may offer some increased structural integrity to the bottom end, I personally don't feel it offers up any benefit in a mild build such as yours (let alone much improvement at all).

The 429/460 head bolts are huge 9/16 deals and are torqued to a whopping 140 foot pounds. Compare this to the "industry standard" chebby big block 454 which uses just 7/16" head bolts and are torqued to only 65-75 foot pounds. The oem Ford bolts are very strong and long lasted, main bolts included.

Even the Ford Racing 514 Stroker uses oem head bolts and main bolts and it has over 625 HP (in reality) and does this with a 4.3 stroke crank (which imposes much greater reciprocating force on the bolts than a 460's 3.85 stroke crank).

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:25   #6 (permalink)

Thanks Paul, as every penny saved helps, i do plan to add larger valves later on ( 2-25 inlet and 1-76 exhaust) also open up inlet and exhaust ports, not to mention a 950 cfm Proform or Holley double pumper carb. I was put off a Solid cam by people telling me they need constant adjusting and the Solid cams are a bit noisy, evenknow with a Solid cam you can get much more lift ! Im sure I will be happy with the Ford Racing hydraulic cam with 588\614 lift . Regards Jamie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech