Front end stuff - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2003, 00:45   #1 (permalink)

Front end stuff

I know this section of the forum is for BBF engines but I have a couple of questions regarding front suspension parts. I already have a rebuilt & modified 460 in an XB coupe and i am progressing with this project in slow time. I heard there was off the shelf front springs in varying heights made for this type of conversion anyone got any info?. Also after slotting in the engine the swaybar fouls the oilpan under brakes. Pan is a Bandit aftermarket unit although the pan is not the issue. has anybody else struck this problem. Can't remember the maker of the engine mounts.

Any info would be great.
XBHardtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2003, 01:29   #2 (permalink)

Re: Front end stuff

The problem of the sway bar is solved in 2 ways which i have done..The first one i did was to use a high-energy sump which has a 45 degree chamfer on the lower front edge of the sump.
The one you would be interested in is to take the sway bar mounts on the chassis and redrill the mount holes slightly forward of the original holes.The whole sway bar then moves forward and the links on the lower control arms stand upright a little more as opposed the sloping back as std.
Make up a piece of 2"x 1/4" steel plate as a plate on top of the mount to 1.strengthen the mount point a bit and 2. cover the old holes.
Once it's done you have to look hard to tell the difference.
On the springs i have used the pedders coils for a cleveland..
I then move the battery to the boot and use an alloy intake on the B.B and the weight of the bigblock wouldn't be much more than a clevo with all cast iron intake/exhaust manifolds with a/c + p/s..
Hope that helps..
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 02:42   #3 (permalink)

Thanx gregaust,

will relocate the bar as suggested. I still have all the info on the C4 mods you sent. the OEM b/housing proved elusive am going to have too get an ultrabell...........gulp!
Old 09-29-2003, 03:15   #4 (permalink)

Hope it all works out well..I see those BB/C4 bellhousings on ebay from time to time ,one day i might get one..
Old 09-29-2003, 03:32   #5 (permalink)

have checked out the pedders and lovells sites have you used these brands?
Old 09-30-2003, 01:15   #6 (permalink)

Yes,have used both.Pedders with the big blocks.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:19   #7 (permalink)

i also have a problem with the C6 which is leaking fluid. it doesn't appear to be from the pump seal or the pan seal but a lot of fluid is leaking from somewhere while the thing is just sitting there. have heard about the converter draining what causes this?
Old 10-03-2003, 01:04   #8 (permalink)

You will always get convertor drainback.It's just the higher level of the convertor equalises with the oil in the case..As the level in the case gets higher it could be the dipstick tube o'ring or the kickdown shaft seal..
Old 10-03-2003, 19:27   #9 (permalink)

sounds like a good place to start ......thanks.
Old 10-04-2003, 07:34   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBHardtop
i also have a problem with the C6 which is leaking fluid. it doesn't appear to be from the pump seal or the pan seal but a lot of fluid is leaking from somewhere while the thing is just sitting there. have heard about the converter draining what causes this?
It must be something with 460 / C6 combo's in XB coupes, mine does exactly the same thing!!

At first I thought it was the pan seal. I replaced it with a new rubber unit, but it still lieaks when sitting still! (I'm spewing I didn't weld a drain bung in the pan when I had it off the first time)

I suspect that it leaks though the pan bolts. ie: If the bolt holes are not blind / captive holes in the casting and they actually protrude into the liquid area, I suspect it leaks down the threads of the bolts???? I can't see any other way. I clean the tranny, drive it, park it. Re-inspect a few days later and there's fluid all round the pan.

BTW. I put 10mm spacers under my sway bar mounts to get the clearance to the sump and use pedders springs / shocks successfully.
Max 460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech