Ford Forums banner

Fuel Problem or What?

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  ebernone 
#1 ·
I just recently purchased a 1994 Ford Shuttle bus with the EFI 460 motor. It has ran like a champ on the gas that was in it upon purchase. Now 130 miles later, one of my guys filled it up with Regular Unleaded gas and she has began to run real bad. At first pinging and then it would just stall. Now it cranks and dies. If you continue to give gas and run, it has very little power.

My thoughts: Low octane? / Water in gas?
I put in an octane boost product and ran a few laps, but no better. Tried a week later and still no better.
I couldn't siphon any gas out of this particular tank, so I'm thinking about removing the fuel filter to see if any water is present or putting in a product called ICE that absorbs water.

Questions:
Are there any other quick checks to narrow down this problem?
Does this sound like a fuel pump issue? If so, is the fuel pump in the tank? If not, where. (Only 38,000 miles on motor)

Any and all comments are welcome and hopefully one day a question will come across that I can answer. Thanks all. Bernard

See less See more
#4 ·
Today's results: Still not running right.
Removed fuel filter and noticed no water. Couldn't blow thru it and it seemed to be blocked - But no trash came out. (Replaced and figured I had a fix - Nope)
Notice fuel pump comes on with switch, but stops with filter out.(Should keep pumping huh?) Dropping tank and changing pump, filter and gas tomorrow. Stay tuned.

#9 ·
Finally Fixed:
After putting the tank back in service and no success, I asked an O Reilly sales guy what he thought. He said dis-connect the line to the Map Sensor while the engine is running and see what happens. Did it and the darn thing ran like a champ. Replaced that $80 part and she is running.

So here's the tally:
Fuel Filter------------------------ $10
Fuel Pump and Strainer----------- $141
A guy that helped me------------- $150 (3 weeks worth of work)
The "RIGHT" part (Map Sensor)-----$80
Total $381.00 US

My 3 weeks of time and sweat----- Priceless

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.