Ford Forums banner

glide to bb ford

3K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  marcuss 
#1 ·
got a glide for my bb frd and am after a adaptor plate does anyone know where i can find one

#5 ·
reece1 said:
got a glide for my bb frd and am after a adaptor plate does anyone know where i can find one
Hey reece,

I may have a spare one at home at mum and dad's place.

I will be visiting them this weekend and will have a look in the shed.

I bought it from McDonald Bros, over 10 years ago and have never used it.

I hope it's still all there. (from memory there are some machined alloy spacers that came with the plate too).

I will let you know if I find it.

Just curious, is this for your XY, street-strip car?

#6 ·
billk460 said:
Hey reece,

I may have a spare one at home at mum and dad's place.

I will be visiting them this weekend and will have a look in the shed.

I bought it from McDonald Bros, over 10 years ago and have never used it.

I hope it's still all there. (from memory there are some machined alloy spacers that came with the plate too).

I will let you know if I find it.

Just curious, is this for your XY, street-strip car?
yes it is for this car, if you can have a look that would be great, what would you want to sell it for. i ordered one today from crs i may be able to cancell it if yours is still there and worth my while, what do you think a reverse tci valvebody c6 is worth to suit a bb frd inc 2800 stall which has just been recoed and not used, it came out again as there was a problem with the front pump and bush to converter which has been fixed also, front pump was replacxed

#7 ·
reece1 said:
yes it is for this car, if you can have a look that would be great, what would you want to sell it for. i ordered one today from crs i may be able to cancell it if yours is still there and worth my while, what do you think a reverse tci valvebody c6 is worth to suit a bb frd inc 2800 stall which has just been recoed and not used, it came out again as there was a problem with the front pump and bush to converter which has been fixed also, front pump was replacxed
Hi reece,

It would be worth your while, if I find it. I just need to clear out some stuff. I think I paid $480 or ($680), for it years ago (but not sure). I would be happy to let it go for half what I paid, if its going to suite your project.

Isn't the xy too heavy for a glide, though? I know you've done some mods to the car, but a glide, I am led to believe, is only suited to a light drag car application. They are, however, virtually unbreakable.

I don't know much about C6's. I bought a C6, "suitable for rebuild", with my basic engine from suburban installations years ago, but never got to rebuild it as I sold it a liitle while later, when I changed projects (from the Fairlane to the Capri).

From what I've read on this forum, though, they don't seem be very popular.

Are you selling one or considering it as an alternative to the glide?

Put your order on hold, and I will let you know if I find the adapter.

Cheers, Bill. :driver:

#8 ·
the glide i am getting came out of a 3100pound car that was running 8.3 at 170m on the transbrake it was on first stage of nitrous on line at 1000hp so this box is tuff i will never break it with my combo. well wait and see how it goes i have never used one before i have been told they use about 20hp as opposed to a c6 which can use as much as 65 to 70 to run. so it my books its freeing up lost power and torque. i keep getting told the c6 is a great box but it wont hold up to the level of abuse i intend on giving it. my last bigblock c6 was great but my powerlevel is going to be substantially alot more hoping to have around 650ftlbs torque with traction as well so i feel it is a more reliable combo in the long run and also it has a transbrake as well as all the other fruit.
the c6 i have was reconditioned by previous owner at a cost of 2300 dollars, i viewed this box in pieces as i was buying the car. when box was fixed it went on a car carrier down to sydney to me where it went in and out of the garage twice before being ripped to pieces( the car) where i found the front pump bush was stuck on the converter due to clearance issue, my auto guy replaced pump and bush and had converter sleeve checked for ovality issue so now the box is perfect.
it has a reverse t.c.i valve body and 2800 stall as well. yes it will be up for grabs whats it worth????.
give me your email and i will send some pics

#10 ·
I have a tci reverse pattern, full manual valve body with trans brake sitting in my drawer at work

#12 ·
reece1 said:
are you going to use it or did you take it out, there is a guy on dragster who is after one in the wanted section. did you get my pics? i dont know how to shrink them to go on here :shh:

I was using it but have gone to an art carr valve body, my one needs to go back to TCI for servicing, but if someone offered me money, I could be tempted to sell it

No I did not get pics

#16 ·
Black XW said:
Its good to hear its coming together for you Reece I look forward to seeing some photos. How does the clearance for changing plugs look. Not much room hey.
clearance is not to bad for plugs as shocktowers have been stepped to just above the top control arm mounts. it was done by previous owner. still a fair way off. 521bb not built yet i still have to get a sump,oilpump,flexplate and strmtr. and i am doing the whole thing now inc paint, we are into it though i planning to finish by may next year, if not earlier that will make this one year. the joke around the place is "its lucky you bought one done" as was my plan. i would never of been happy with it though. this is turning into one piece of motoring art everyday.black xw send me your email address and i will send early photos.

#19 ·
falcon coupe said:
Do any of you BB owners have pics and or videos ?
I would love to see them, when do you plan on having you're car finished Reece ?
within 6 months hopefully( definately) i pretty much have everything for it except the countless hours required, but im well into it. have you driven your car with the auto in it yet?

#21 ·
I have a BBF to glide adapter that was purchased from Hugo's in Melbourne about 18 months ago. It needed a lot of work to make it fit and i was disappointed with the product.
1. The dowels which go into the gearbox bellhousing were about 0.100" too close together. When told about this the manufacturer told me it was my box that was the problem. It's a Dedenbear case which is cnc machined so doubting mr hugo i checked two other standard cases and found them misaligned by the same amount. I took my adapter back and he then proceeded to demonstrate how well it fitted by belting the crap out it with a heavy mallet to fit it to one of his cases and i mean he was hitting it real hard. He got it to fit but i was less than impressed. Ended up freeze plugging the dowel holes and redrilling
2. The starter bolt holes were misaligned by about 0.050". Doesn't sound like much but it was just enough to make installing the bolts impossible. Mr hugo suggested opening the holes in my starter to make it fit, once again refusing to admit his product was less than perfect. Ended up freeze plugging and retapping.
3. The cutout for the starter recess did not exist.
4. The hole for the flywheel was too small in two places.
Apart from that it was a perfect piece. I have access to a well equipped machine shop so these mods cost me nothing apart from a lot of wasted time. Be wary if you are going to buy one of these.

Good luck with the project.

#22 ·
marcuss said:
I have a BBF to glide adapter that was purchased from Hugo's in Melbourne about 18 months ago. It needed a lot of work to make it fit and i was disappointed with the product.
1. The dowels which go into the gearbox bellhousing were about 0.100" too close together. When told about this the manufacturer told me it was my box that was the problem. It's a Dedenbear case which is cnc machined so doubting mr hugo i checked two other standard cases and found them misaligned by the same amount. I took my adapter back and he then proceeded to demonstrate how well it fitted by belting the crap out it with a heavy mallet to fit it to one of his cases and i mean he was hitting it real hard. He got it to fit but i was less than impressed. Ended up freeze plugging the dowel holes and redrilling
2. The starter bolt holes were misaligned by about 0.050". Doesn't sound like much but it was just enough to make installing the bolts impossible. Mr hugo suggested opening the holes in my starter to make it fit, once again refusing to admit his product was less than perfect. Ended up freeze plugging and retapping.
3. The cutout for the starter recess did not exist.
4. The hole for the flywheel was too small in two places.
Apart from that it was a perfect piece. I have access to a well equipped machine shop so these mods cost me nothing apart from a lot of wasted time. Be wary if you are going to buy one of these.

Good luck with the project.
i got one from crs and i have dummy fitted it up and it seems to be ok. the crank pilot fits like a glove. but the kit came with all the bolts to mount it up which were useless, i had to go and buy them. pain in the arse. and the torque converter cover has no hope of fitting. there is also a mounting point on the plate which needs to be countersunk also. but other than that it is ok. i was told they are good and it is alot better than i thought it was going to be. i used a trimatic/turbo plate on a customers car years ago and it was a piece of garbage. in heinsite now i wish i bought a jw bellhousing and had the glide housing machined off. although a little dearer i think it would have been a far better result in the end. but this is still ok well see when i use it.
the one good thing about it is it utilizes a std style converter although it has a turbo input shaft. i will not need one off converters each time i change them.i may be able to source some different stall rates to try a little easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.