Head ID on unknown 460 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 15:55   #1 (permalink)

Head ID on unknown 460

The engine was recovered from an '84 3/4t, had reman tag so don't know origin. If the heads are '84 (low comp?) that will mean I need more initial spark advance-- currently set at 0 deg because this engine is mounted in an antique pusher bus, and can't hear it ping. Anyone know how to ID the heads, or failing that, how much spark I dare give it? The distributor is points equipt off early Lincoln, no carbon inside. Bus weighs 25k, need everything the engine can do.
Busguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2009, 16:28   #2 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: Head ID on unknown 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy View Post
The engine was recovered from an '84 3/4t, had reman tag so don't know origin. If the heads are '84 (low comp?) that will mean I need more initial spark advance-- currently set at 0 deg because this engine is mounted in an antique pusher bus, and can't hear it ping. Anyone know how to ID the heads, or failing that, how much spark I dare give it? The distributor is points equipt off early Lincoln, no carbon inside. Bus weighs 25k, need everything the engine can do.
In 1984 the 460 was the light truck engine in the 3/4-ton F250 pickup. The cylinder heads used were the D3VE-A2A heads, but the markings of the cylinder heads were not in the normal location at the top of the head. Instead, they were marked on the underside of the head, beneath the intake ports, cast into the underside of the head, look at the picture below/casting number is on the intake flange (underside) between the pushrod holes in the head:

This is the typical casting number location on 1984-1985 D3VE-A2A's and 1986 E6TE-DA's.

From the factory, that engine has about 7.5-7.9:1 compression ratio, and a very poor advance curve in the distributor. So yes, you can play with ignition timing by advancing the distributor, but beware of inaudble detonation in these engines. It is not always there and the detonation control is correctable, but by all means do spark plug readings if you are playing with ignition timing in a 25,000 pound vehcile.

Generally, on pump gas with a 1984 460 I would think that 30 BTDC @ 3000 rpm is okay. Problem is that with your poorly advancing distrbutor, you will have to really twist it over in order to get that much advance at 3000 rpm, and this will result in high igniton advance at idle. Your best bet is to recurve the distributor, but don't get too agressive with the advance curve (due to the weight of the vehicle).

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 20:25   #3 (permalink)

Re: Head ID on unknown 460

Paul. thanks for that solid and authoritative response. Could you address the nature of that '73 Lincoln distributor? I'm using it because I need to be able to be very effective at trouble-shooting in remote places. The engine is doing 3000 at 60mph. which should be top of the torque curve, and maybe 4000 on grades. What would you say might be the most effective lower cost upgrade?
Thanks for your attention.
Busguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:49   #4 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: Head ID on unknown 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy View Post
Paul. thanks for that solid and authoritative response. Could you address the nature of that '73 Lincoln distributor? I'm using it because I need to be able to be very effective at trouble-shooting in remote places. The engine is doing 3000 at 60mph. which should be top of the torque curve, and maybe 4000 on grades. What would you say might be the most effective lower cost upgrade?
Thanks for your attention.
If you want a distributor with reliability and performance in a bargain budget setup, I would recommend the factory Ford Dura-Spark electronic ignition distributor and box, recurved. They are reliable as can be and there's no points/condensor maintenance.

Remanufactured Dura-Spark distributors are perhaps $65 from a local parts store, the electronic Dura-Spark box is perhaps $20 from a local yard, the Recurve Kit is perhaps $15. So for about $100 (and perhaps labor cost if someone else recurves for you) you can have an electronic ignition system that rivals MSD's basic igintion electronics...in fact, where do you think MSD gets their magnetic reluctor and pickup coil? Yep, it's the same Ford unit as you find in the Dura-Spark distributor.

If you want to purchase an already recurved Dura-Spark distributor directly from a well respected colleague of mine in Tacoma (not far from you), then call Scott Johnston @ 253-988-6648. Be sure to tell him Paul Kane sent you.

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 19:15   #5 (permalink)
Still Da Man

Re: Head ID on unknown 460

Quote:"Could you address the nature of that '73 Lincoln distributor?"

Please explain ..Nature of ....

Do you mean its make up ..counter weights..spring tension ?

Springs:
primary - C5AZ-12192- F (Motorcraft #MS471)
secondary - C9Az-12192-A ( Motorcraft # MS494)
mil1ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech