help need with 460 problems on new engine - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2006, 22:18   #1 (permalink)

help need with 460 problems on new engine

have a ford 460 in my 1969 mustang and am having several issues and need a good mechanic to tune me up or guide me through the process.

i stabbed my distributor with #1 at tdc and rotor bug pointed to #1 on distributor fired it up and broke in my cam. now i did all the necessary thing before firing it up again. when i put the timing light on it and was setting my idel and timing it runs best at around 20 btdc. is this correct? what should it be set at? i thought it was 6-8? it is a 1971 460 with 70 heads small cam step up from stock. when i have it at less than 14 it dont want to star and will just die. it is just a fairly stock 460 i put in my mustang.

my timing is also very eradic

set the timing to 16btdc initial and total was at 36 at 3000rpm but when i went out to start it the next time it would not start so i moved the distributor just a hair to get it to start and once it started i checked timing and it was at about 40 btdc inital so i tried to move it back down to 16 were i had it and it just wants to die. plugs are very black think i am running rich but cannot explain this eradic timing. even when it was set to 16 when i hooked up the vaccume advance it would move to 35-40 at idle? i am going to take this to the local garage and see if they can adjust my carb and set the timing or what ever this needs. i set the timing at around 20 last night to drive it to the local garage and it was missing spitting and sputtering all the way there and would not shift out of low with trans in drive. everything on this is brand new?

1971 block 1970 heads stock pistons, 9.5 to 1 with 70 heads? stealth intake, 750 carb, see cam specs below
any help setting timing or hp estimate etc... is appreciated

Camshaft Specification Table
Part Number 34-229-4
Engine 1968-1994 Ford
429ci-460ci
8cyl.
Grind Number FF 270H-10
Description

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intake Exhaust
Valve Adjustment 0 0
Gross Valve Lift 0.519 0.519
Duration At 0.006 Tappet Lift 270 270

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valve Timing At 0.006
Open Close
Intake 29 61
Exhaust 69 21

These Specs Are For The Cam Installed At 106 Intake CL
Intake Exhaust
Duration At 0.05 224 224
Lobe Lift 0.3 0.3
Lobe Separation 110
jonmalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2006, 02:59   #2 (permalink)

Re: help need with 460 problems on new engine

sounds like your a tooth out on your dizzy
black 460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 23:43   #3 (permalink)
FORD THUNDER DOWNUNDER

Have you got a new ballancer,, true TDC mark might be out? Did you degree ya cam in, or have someone who knows what they doing, do it for ya.
Might be bad vacum leak, are you using a felpro gasket set, if not you should check for vacum leaks. The only set you should use, is Fel Pro. Best way to check for vacum leak is with vac gauge or a can of carb clean,,spay around carb base gasket and monifold gasket. You will notice increase in RPM if bad leak. Leave vac advance off, no need if ya a steet racer. Missing and poping ,,sounds like too much advance. Check ya leads, resistance check with multi meter. Can't rely on most new electronic parts these days.
Use premium gas only, they go better
Good luck mate.
KILLERME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 00:58   #4 (permalink)

poor vacuum mate. Had the same problem with my clevo which was made worse with a manual gearbox. Your comp with this over exhausted cam should be more like 10.1 prefferabely.

1. replace all plugs. Set timing and lean out idle mixture. once engine starts stumbling turn screw one full turn anticlockwise.

2.connect vacuum gauge to carby base and work out which power valve you need. I reckon try a 7.5 hg. Don't want it overlapping the idle circuit and kicking in to early.

3. The biggest prick to set up is the accelerator jet/cam because they literally flood the enginethose holleys do.
t2te50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 01:00   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2te50
poor vacuum mate. Had the same problem with my clevo which was made worse with a manual gearbox. Your comp with this over exhausted cam should be more like 10.1 prefferabely.

1. replace all plugs. Set timing and lean out idle mixture. once engine starts stumbling turn screw one full turn anticlockwise.

2.connect vacuum gauge to carby base and work out which power valve you need. I reckon try a 7.5 hg. Don't want it overlapping the idle circuit and kicking in to early.

3. The biggest prick to set up is the accelerator jet/cam because they literally flood the enginethose holleys do.
But being a manual that is to be expected. Doesn't help when the vehicle is a fairlane with 2.92 gears. Forgot to mention once you have the right power valve try smaller primary jets
t2te50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 20:46   #6 (permalink)

I double check and make sure you have the distributer set at the right tooth and the plug wires are really on right.(in the correct order)
popestev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech