Ford Forums banner

I have a few questions on a 460 ford

5K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Paul Kane 
#1 ·
its an 87 carb engine, 65,000 miles
it is building crankcase pressure and hence leaking/consuming oil {NO, NO blue smoke, No smoke at all}
this engine has the air pump and egr stuff still on it but I would love dearly to remove ALL of this JUNK!
The heads have some type of Port thing on the very back and appear to be connected to the air pump through a series of pipes and vacume controlled valves and such.
one question is, could this be the source of excessive crankcase pressure?
BTW this engine is in a 1987 coachmen class a motorhome.
Next question is, I smell gas in the crankcase {At least I think I do} This coach has an electric fuel pump so I know that the manuel fuel pump diaphram is NOT an issue. Although with key on {Engine NOT running} the pump never shuts off.
Would a fuel pressure regulator suffice to prevent excessive pressure on the needle and seat in the carb? { I surmise that IF there IS gas in the crankcase it has to be getting there by bypassing the Needle and seat.}
OR could it be that the powervalve has gone south? the engine runs extremely well other than it is a real thirsty bugger { kind of to be expected seeing how this coach is a 33 ft and the gears in the axel are pretty low.
BUT I thought id at least get 10 mpg, where im am only getting 5. { ID BE HAPPY WITH 8}
CAN I replace the intake manifold with an aluminum one that does NOT have the egr and air pump stuff?
Can I plug off those air ports on the very rear of the heads with no ill affects?
A lot of questions I know!
be patient with me
Thanks
AweMan
AweMan is online now Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
AweMan
View Public Profile
Send a private message to AweMan
Send email to AweMan
Find More Posts by AweMan
Add AweMan to Your Buddy List
1/4 Mile Times

See less See more
#2 ·
Aweman, some answers below:

AweMan said:
its an 87 carb engine, 65,000 miles
it is building crankcase pressure and hence leaking/consuming oil {NO, NO blue smoke, No smoke at all}
this engine has the air pump and egr stuff still on it but I would love dearly to remove ALL of this JUNK!
The heads have some type of Port thing on the very back and appear to be connected to the air pump through a series of pipes and vacume controlled valves and such.
one question is, could this be the source of excessive crankcase pressure?
The Ford Thermactor A.I.R. (air injector reactor) sends air from the smog pump into the rear of the cylinder heads; this cannot be your source of crankcase pressure as it only sends fresh air into the exhaust ports so as to help burn unburned HC in the exhaust gases. Your engine's crankcase is supposed to have a PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valve; see that there is one intact...a check valve that is usually in a valve cover grommet and has a line to the carburetor base. Make sure it is not clogged...has a check ball inside.

AweMan said:
BTW this engine is in a 1987 coachmen class a motorhome.
Next question is, I smell gas in the crankcase {At least I think I do} This coach has an electric fuel pump so I know that the manuel fuel pump diaphram is NOT an issue. Although with key on {Engine NOT running} the pump never shuts off.
While your symptoms cannot be readily diagnosed over the internet, electric fuel pumps typically do run contiuously when they have power.

AweMan said:
Would a fuel pressure regulator suffice to prevent excessive pressure on the needle and seat in the carb? { I surmise that IF there IS gas in the crankcase it has to be getting there by bypassing the Needle and seat.}
OR could it be that the powervalve has gone south? the engine runs extremely well other than it is a real thirsty bugger { kind of to be expected seeing how this coach is a 33 ft and the gears in the axel are pretty low.
BUT I thought id at least get 10 mpg, where im am only getting 5. { ID BE HAPPY WITH 8}
CAN I replace the intake manifold with an aluminum one that does NOT have the egr and air pump stuff?
Depending on your cylinder head casting numbers, you may or may not be able to change to an aluminum intake. The year model of your motor is right on the cusp of amajor cylinder head design change, and the new-style head would not accomodate the majority of aftermarket aluminum intakes. Please look for a casting number on the your cylinder heads and intake manifold, such as D3VE, E6TE, E7TE, etc. These numbers are not under the valve covers but should be readily visible on the outside of the heads/intake, facing up.

AweMan said:
Can I plug off those air ports on the very rear of the heads with no ill affects?
You can plug the air pump's passage entries at the back of the cylinder heads with expansion plugs that are identical to those plugs that you will also find at the front end of the heads. I believe the size is 43/64, but don't quote me on that. The only pwer gains realized woud come from that of not running the air pump.

#3 ·
Is there a way to post pics on this forum? { I have a photobucket account} the P.C.V. setup isnt like any I have ever seen. this engine has a very long spout {oil fill tube} because of it bieng in a motorhome. the PCV hose and valve is connected to this "Spout" and goes into the aircleaner {BTW the air cleaner is a P.O.S.} and this engine has MILES AND MILES of vacume hoses on it. {Ungodly looking mess I must say}
I want to get rid of the A.I.R. crap altogether and eliminate all if not most of the Vacume tubes. I live in a county where S.M.O.G. testing is NOT required {YET!}
I`ll try and take some decent pics if I can post them here for you all to look at
Thanks
AweMan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.