Identify this engine please... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2009, 23:28   #1 (permalink)

Identify this engine please...

Please help me identify this engine.
Just got this boat and have no info on the engine.
The previous owner doesn't know anything about.
I know it's a big block.
That's it.
The valve covers throw me off.
2 bolts on top.
4 on the bottom.
Says Motorsports and SVO Power on them.
One source tells me this is a 521.

Could this be true?

engine.jpg
jwandhistools is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2009, 11:02   #2 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: Identify this engine please...

Nice boat, looks like a Jet boat with a T-deck.

Defninitely a 385 Series Ford. Offenhauser tunnel ram with dual carbs.

Ford Racing has been offering a crate motor for some years now that is 521 cubic inches, but just because you have the Ford Racing valve covers does not necessarily mean that you have the crate motor. Those valve covers are available seperately, and more have been sold than have 521 crate motors.

Unfortunately, the only way to determine for certain what you have for an engine is to take it apart, but I wouldn't bother unless there was a need. Do you have any engine receipts that came with the boat?

There are a few things that can be learned about the engine that may or may not shed light on what you have. Usually the Ford Racing valve covers are installed because they are a tall valve cover that allows clearance for roller rockers. Do you have roller rockers? Do you know your installed valve height and can you determine peak valve lift? Also, here are some Ford engineering revisions that may tell what you have in Ford heads and block (unless you have aftermarhet aluminum heads, for example).

The cylinder head casting numbers are located on the outside of the head, along the valve cover mounting rail and between the 3rd and 4th exhaust ports. The are visible simply by looking at the engine. You should be able to find a cast-in alphanumeric number, possibly one of the following:
  • C8VE-E
  • C9VE-A
  • D0VE-C
  • D2VE-AA
  • D3VE-A2A
Or, it may appear similar to one of the above numbers but a little different.

The block casting number is located on the ouside of the engine, at the rear of the cylinder bank, behind the starter motor and reads vertically. There, you should be able to find a cast-in alphanumeric number, possibly one of the following:
  • C8VE-B
  • C9VE-B
  • D0VE-A
  • D1VE-A2B
  • D9TE-AB
Or, it may appear similar to one of the above numbers but a little different.

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:53   #3 (permalink)

biggrin Re: Identify this engine please...

Thanks.
That should help.

The boat is a 1978 Hawaiian 19' w/berkeley 12jc jet.

It's my first boat, so I am itchin' to get this thing in the water.

78 hawiian.jpg
Old 08-02-2009, 13:20   #4 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

Great looking jet boat! Mine is a 1982 Southwind with 0.030 overbored 460:

Paul

High Flow Dynamics
Old 08-02-2009, 17:06   #5 (permalink)

eek Re: Identify this engine please...

Woah! Now that is a slick boat. I am new to boating, but all my friends have jet boats, so if you can't beat 'em...join 'em.

Your boat just looks awesome.
Old 08-02-2009, 22:14   #6 (permalink)

Re: Identify this engine please...

It says D2VEAA on the heads.
The block has DIVE-6015-A28

What does this tell me?
Old 08-04-2009, 08:58   #7 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwandhistools View Post
It says D2VEAA on the heads.
The block has DIVE-6015-A28

What does this tell me?
Your engine block is a D1VE-6015-A2B. D1VE blocks were used from 1971-1978. From the factory, they are internally balanced engines. Ford Racing never used a D1VE block in a 521 crate motor; chances are that you engine is either a 429 or 460 passenger car engine.

D2VE-AA heads are single year heads, used in 1972 production 429s and 460s. They are the only 429/460 passenger car cylinder head that is of the open chamber design. Those heads proved to be so detonation prone that Ford quicky dumped the design after one year and went back to a closed chamber head, known as the D3VE-A2A.

I don't know anything about your boat engine's internals but I would look for a different set of heads if I were in your shoes. Which heads I would get depends on the current engine's setup, which direction I'd be taking the engine, and how much money I want to spend. The quickest and most painless head swap is the D3VE heads since they use the same valve train components. I run them on my jet boat and it goes 85 mph gps. The D3VE's are not high on the performance food chain but with proper port work and in the right application can be a fine cylinder head in mild performance builds. In your case, we would simply be trying to minimize detonation and not so much make big power. These engines are known for having inaudible detonation so be sure to do plug readings and set your engine up to run on the rick side and you ought to be okay with the heads you have.

Where are you located? Have have plenty of heads in stock should you wish to make the swap.

Paul

High Flow Dynamics
Old 08-04-2009, 09:30   #8 (permalink)

I am in Modesto.
Looks like you are in the Bay Area.
I go there often, so that helps.

I just got this boat Saturday, and I am going to the water today to see how this thing does.

You are the second person that has told me the exact same thing about these heads, so a swap will be in order when this summer is done.

The previous owner had zero info on the motor, so I got what I got.
The boat is very clean and sounds like tight, crispy thunder, so for $3k I cannot complain much.
Old 08-04-2009, 21:34   #9 (permalink)

Took it to the lake today for my first run in this boat.
With 3 people in the boat it did very well.
Got about 4700rpms and about 60mph with
pedal to spare.

I know it will do better when I replace the Accel dual points with a nice MSD.
And the small oil pan has got to go.
Other than that I am very pleased with this boat for the time being.
10lbs of fun in a 5lb sack.
Docked1.jpg

72 460 b.jpg

72 460 a.jpg
Old 08-06-2009, 21:16   #10 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

$3000 for a complete turn-key jet boat is a steal! I'll take 3 at that price, thanks very much!

Managing 4700 rpm is a very good number for an (assumed) bone stock 460. I'll bet that the tunnel ram and headers play a big part in allowing the engine attain those rpms against the jet pump. Also, remove two of those people from the boat and I'll bet you can push for 70 mph. (Example: My boat has gps'd at 85 mph....add a passenger and the boat drops back into the 70's.)

I could set you up with a set of ported, large-valve D3VE heads to replace the D2VEs. They will offer slightly more power but equally as important they can provide much more room to grow power-wise. And we can make them to be a bolt on replacement for the D2VE's. Swap one set of heads for the other over an afternoon. Might even help you do it.

On the oil pan: a full-length, rear sump jet boat pan is a big plus when these engiens are used this way. My guess is that you have the OEM front-sump pan, correct?

Paul

High Flow Dynamics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech