Just brought a 429 with 4v heads - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2007, 03:55   #1 (permalink)

Just brought a 429 with 4v heads

Good day just brought a ford squire wagon that has a 429 with 4v heads and a c6 gearbox what can you guys tell me about the 429 with 4v heads
ford2drs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2007, 09:14   #2 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: Just brought a 429 with 4v heads

Depends what year the engine is...what year is the vehicle/engine? And, what is the casting number on the cylinder heads?

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:43   #3 (permalink)

Re: Just brought a 429 with 4v heads

good day again sorry paul I never explained myself very well . I just brought a 1973 ford ltd squire wagon so I could use it for parts to fit on my recon 460 which is going into a zg fairlane . The ltd squire wagon has a 429 4v motor in it the number on the heads is D3VE-A2A at the moment cant see the numbers on the block I only just drove it home I pan on using the power steering and the air con also gearbox and tail shaft not sure if the engine mounts will fit into the zg fairlane or not it also has a good large radiator which I hope to use what is left over I will put aside to use in the coupe that I have but that is a few years away yet
ford2drs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 22:15   #4 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: Just brought a 429 with 4v heads

1973 was the last year of the 429 and emmission controls killed the engine by then. They have a dismal 7.6:1 compression ratio and are relatively powerless compared to the earlier 429s, but have some potential as the block and heads are the most common of the carbureted 429/460s

If you replace the factory dished pistons with flat top 429 pistons, you will manage about 8.8:1 compresison ratio. Then port the heads and the engine will run much more strongly.

If you replace the crank with a 460 crank and corresponding 460 flat top pistons, then compresion ratio will be closer to 9.2:1 and with the same porting you will have a very fun engine.

Of course, much more is possible (the potential is certainly in the parts)...it's just that for 1973 it was as detuned as it could be.

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:38   #5 (permalink)

Re: Just brought a 429 with 4v heads

Okay - I don't have time right now, but I'll check back on this thread as I have same questions.. ('73 gutless Merc..But know there's myriad of oprtions..)(Found this ona Google search, so I'm Brand-Spankin new..)

L8r..
thorsgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech