new to 429,tell me? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2006, 02:27   #1 (permalink)

new to 429,tell me?

hi guys,I am looking at 429/c6 combo for xb coupe,does this fit in?Are the 429s ok for bit mild street work?are parts and good bits plentiful?Any input from anyone would be appreciated!!
intofomoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2006, 02:40   #2 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Re: new to 429,tell me?

I think yes and yes to those questions.

Use the search function as there some threads on the fitting of the big block into Falcons. From memory some of the special parts such as engine mounts etc are available from outlets for the conversion. They are a nice engine.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:46   #3 (permalink)

Castlemaine Rod Shop make a good conversion kit to fit the 429/460 and C6 into a Falcon. Pacemaker also make a good set of extractors for the big block into an XA/XB.
Parts for both the 429/460 big block and the C6 transmission are also readily available from either places like VPW, or mail oreder from the US.
Probably the hardest part of the conversion is finding a decent 429. They were only made for a short time, '68 to '72 I think. Much easier to get hold of, and much easier to get more power out of is a 460. You can even buy a brand new crate motor from Ford Racing.
I would recommend the conversion, it's well worth the effort. When you open the bonnet and see that big lump sitting there, it's a good thing. And once you've experienced the torque of a big block, there's no going back.

There's no replacement for cubic displacment.
ToddZC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:18   #4 (permalink)

cool Lance and Todd,happy happy,I did feel this would be good,just the answers I was hoping for .I am keen as to do this little job.I`ve got a 429 sitting on the side,just got to retreive it..We like big stuff but haven`t played with this engine to a car,I do know a little bit of 460 stuff,I know sometimes one engine may be good and its sister may be full of little probs.I`m happy with the cid,it does condger up old school hot rod feel.I know of the Castlemain rod shop,I`ll be on to them asap..Coupe is off to the panel man this week after beadblast..nice to talk to BB fans,it is a job that I`m sure will bring a huge satisfiying feeling.
intofomoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech