portwork... what can i remove? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2007, 05:17   #1 (permalink)

portwork... what can i remove?

here are some pics of my heads.... only casting number i have is D6VE (only found on inlet manifold)

Heads have the egr port so what year would my 460 be?? Can that port be filled or can it just be left as is?? how do you fill it...and epoxy resin from memory????

in the pics i have circled the areas in like to remove and in the block vally id like to tidy the oil holes

look at the pics and let me know what i can and cant remove...cheers

MRJLB84D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2007, 05:25   #2 (permalink)

Re: portwork... what can i remove?

oh also... the 1st 2 pics are the exhaust ports.... inlets looks easy to tidy up but these exhaust ports with this bit with a hole has me stumped (no its not the valve boss) as to what it is or if it can be removed
Old 09-19-2007, 13:23   #3 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: portwork... what can i remove?

Your cylinder head casting number is D3VE-A2A and they were used from 1973-1986.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJLB84D
in the pics i have circled the areas in like to remove and in the block vally id like to tidy the oil holes. Look at the pics and let me know what i can and cant remove...cheers
]
You have circled the Thermactor bump with drilled air passage. Yes, this may be ground down (see additional text below).

Quote:
]
As you can see in the above photo, the Thermactor bump is on the right side of the roof. This may be ground away to be flush with the left side of the roof, but do not grind any higher than the left side of the roof because you risk hitting water.

Also, grinding the iron is a mess and a lot of work and you will need lots of iron carbide cutting bits and a good tool.

Quote:
In the above photo, you may smmoth away the casting flash in the block ventilation holes. By the way, that is a nice D9TE-AB cylinder block.

For other block mods, click HEREand review all the page links on the left of the webpage.

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:25   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kane
Your cylinder head casting number is D3VE-A2A and they were used from 1973-1986.

You have circled the Thermactor bump with drilled air passage. Yes, this may be ground down (see additional text below).

Paul
i removed the hump, i now have the port how i want it but i followed the hole in the "thermactor bump" and basically now have the problem of how do i fill the hole and smooth it out?

im sure there is an epoxy resin stuff ive seen used in magazines for this kinda thing but dunno where to find the stuff or...... what other options do i have cause only one of the bumps in my head isnt drilled out so... any ideas?? my old school engine building uncle suggested back in his day they used solder to fill such things.... but in an exhaust port??? dont think it would handle it too well.

So what do i do, fill the hole in somehow and smooth it out or

smooth the edges of the hole as best as possible and just go with it as is, but this would hurt HP surely!?

Also... whats the best thing to do about the egr port???
Old 09-26-2007, 21:31   #5 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: portwork... what can i remove?

If the thermactor passages are not plugged, there will be a very small amount of "crosstalk" between the ports but certainly not enough to worry about...unless you are looking for every last 1/4 horsepower. Leave them unplugged and as they are.

Paul

p.s.: Don't forget to do some bowl bending on the intake and exhaust bowls.

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:37   #6 (permalink)

thanks paul

ive done the bowels etc, hope to have pics soon

as for the holes i found the epoxy stuff i was after and for $40 is cheap enough and will just help make the job a better one... pics soon
cheers
Old 09-27-2007, 07:40   #7 (permalink)

oh also paul....egr port... any suggestions??? just resin it up or use liquid metal etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech