Problems with 460 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2007, 13:01   #1 (permalink)

Question Problems with 460

I'm racing a 460 on a 45 degree dirt track and my engine is starving for gas in the corners. I've tried better fuel pumps and even snuck an electric fuel pump under the frame, nothing worked. Is there a common explanation for this or is it a problem case specific to me? I believe we have 429 heads on it also. Does anyone have any experience or answers to this problem?
bruningracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2007, 23:12   #2 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: Problems with 460

On left turns? Coming out of the corner? Fuel starvation problems can be frustrating. I've seen it on hard right-hand turns on freeway cloverleaf onramps.

This would be a tough one to diagnose over the internet; I assume carburetor(s) and gas? More info please, and please be specific. We'll all try our best.

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:57   #3 (permalink)

Re: Problems with 460

We're running a Holley 4412 with 78 jets on 92 pump gas. As I said were on a 45 degree circle dirt track. We're running out of gas going into the corners. We thought that it was because we couldn't keep it wound up enough so we went to a 3.06 rear end. It's just been a pain in the ass to diagnose and we've got a lot of time and money in on the engine it's got loads of power of course and it breaks the tires loose on command on the straights but we're getting killed in the corners. Just been very discouraging because we've run out of ideas, if you need anymore info to help I'll be glad to supply. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:56   #4 (permalink)

I also forgot to mention that we have to run a 2bbl carb. We havent tried a 4bbl intake because we thought the intake would starve with a 2bbl carb. Maybe that would help?
Old 05-26-2007, 20:05   #5 (permalink)

My first question would be; Is the sump in the tank/fuel cell always submerged? If your pushing all the gas to one side in the curves the fuel pump might be sucking air for a second or two. Only other thing I could think of would be the gas in the carb pushing the float closed when its forced to one side.
Old 05-29-2007, 13:02   #6 (permalink)

We use a bottom sump fuel cell and if the gas is pushing the float closed then wouldn't there be gas in the bowl for the engine to run on?
Old 05-29-2007, 17:12   #7 (permalink)

I run a 10 gallon bottom sump fuel cell for drag racing. I know its going to shove all the gas to the back so thats where the sump is. If yours is anywhere but on the right side it might be starving the pump for a few seconds. I'm no circle track racer. I know each type of racing has its own unique problem areas.

The fuel in the bowl wont last long when racing, especially in a 2bbl. This is about the only things left to reason. You already swapped out the fuel pumps and carbs. It may also be carb adjustment. To much to fast or not enough long enough from the accelerator pump. I'll find you an article on carb tuning that might help. I have the link somewhere.
Old 05-29-2007, 17:20   #8 (permalink)

Heres the link for the carb tuning. Its for Holleys but should work on about anything really. Carburetor Tuning the Scientific Way

Check it out, maybe it will hit on a few points.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:06   #9 (permalink)

Haven't got a chance to check out the article yet but thanks for the help. Greatly Appreciated.

Bruning Racing
Old 08-11-2007, 07:28   #10 (permalink)

I'm an old-time roundy-rounder.

1. Your fuel cell pick up should be a rubber flex hose suspended on the left side of the tank, lying on the floor going right. It NEEDS a brass weight to let it roll forward and rearwards with the fuel. Cut away any cell foam that might be in that area, as it will be in the way.

2. Get the bias cut carb floats. Use rear jet extensions.

3. I always ran my float levels a tad low to stop drowning the engine on corner entry (Making it seem to be starving untill it clears out and picks up).

4. Use a fuel pressure gage to be SURE you are starving......dont guess.

GL, MIZ
mizlplix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech